all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* what was the name of that file I just renamed?
@ 2003-01-14 21:34 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2003-01-14 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

What was the name of that file I just renamed with R in dired?  It's
not in any minibuffer history list.  It's not in view-lossage.  Not in
*Messages*. For all I know it's in my mom's drawers.

If this were bash a mere ^P would see what the heck its old name was.
But with emacs, it's like in the sheredder, ma'am.  Great.  Now what,
directory bit dump?

Suggested solution: one would expect to pull back a line of lisp with
C-x ESC ESC, it would look like (dired-do-rename "old" "new")... ok
not that line but something similar.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780

* Re: what was the name of that file I just renamed?
@ 2003-01-21 17:05 ` Francesco Potorti`
From: Francesco Potorti` @ 2003-01-21 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

>What was the name of that file I just renamed with R in dired?

Just hit [undo] in the dired buffer.  After looking at it, and possibly
killing the old name, remember to hit `g' to refresh the dired buffer.

* Re: what was the name of that file I just renamed?
@ 2003-01-25 23:36   ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2003-01-25 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> What was the name of that file I just renamed with R in dired?

F> Just hit [undo] in the dired buffer.  After looking at it, and possibly
F> killing the old name, remember to hit `g' to refresh the dired buffer.

That is nice but it seems that you are taking advantage of a chink in
the emacs amour that allows one to undo something that actually does
not get undone in reality: i.e. bad.  An opium dream allowing one to
undo things in one's fantasy world that are indeed not undone when the
boss needs to use them. A hack. A kludge.

A misty fantasy world giving the newly converted former MSDOS user a
feeling of "hmmm, this new emacs world is indeed powerful after all"
when infact it was a dired dream.

Anyway, it was fun, it worked with emacs -q, but apparently there's
something in my http://jidanni.org/comp/emacs.txt that causes, thank
goodness, "Buffer is read-only: #<buffer tmp>"

OK, I can do C-x C-q and do what you say.  Anyways, a better way to
find what one has done today in dired would be: have some trace of what
one has done in dired put into some command history buffer.

* Re: what was the name of that file I just renamed?
@ 2003-01-26  8:54     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2003-01-26  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net> writes:

   A misty fantasy world giving the newly converted former MSDOS user a
   feeling of "hmmm, this new emacs world is indeed powerful after all"
   when infact it was a dired dream.

this is a common theme in many organizations why not emacs?

(answer:  because someone will post code at some point.  who?)

thi

* Re: what was the name of that file I just renamed?
@ 2003-01-26 14:23     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-01-26 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

On 26 Jan 2003, Dan Jacobson wrote:

> That is nice but it seems that you are taking advantage of a chink in
> the emacs amour that allows one to undo something that actually does
> not get undone in reality: i.e. bad.  An opium dream allowing one to
> undo things in one's fantasy world that are indeed not undone when the
> boss needs to use them. A hack. A kludge.

Neither a hack nor a kludge, but rather a documented behavior, with a
good reason for it.  Read all about it in the manual.

* Re: what was the name of that file I just renamed?
@ 2003-01-26 15:49 Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2003-01-26 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Jacobson wrote:

    A misty fantasy world giving the newly converted former MSDOS user
    feeling of "hmmm, this new emacs world is indeed powerful after
    all"
    when infact it was a dired dream.

In the latest CVS Emacs (21.3.50) this is fixed.  You get the message:

Change in Dired buffer undone.
Actual changes in files cannot be undone by Emacs.

in the echo area.  So no false illusions any longer, not even for
people who do not know the Emacs manual by heart.

I know that this does not happen in Emacs-21.2, but since it happens
in CVS, I assume it will in a future released version.

Sincerely,

Luc.