all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gnuclient -nw anyone?
@ 2003-09-17  6:32 Orm Finnendahl
From: Orm Finnendahl @ 2003-09-17  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I use emacs 21.3.1 and installed the gnuclient hack for it. It works
well if I start emacs as X application, load the gnuserver-compat code
and issue 'gnuclient <filename>' in another terminal, which pops up a
new frame. But if I start gnuclient with the -nw option I get the
following error in emacs' *Messages* buffer:

error in process filter: condition-case: Wrong number of arguments: (lambda (&optional tty terminal-type) "Create a new device on TTY.
  TTY should be the name of a tty device file (e.g. \"/dev/ttyp3\" under
SunOS et al.), as returned by the `tty' command.  A value of nil means
use the stdin and stdout as passed to XEmacs from the shell.
  If TERMINAL-TYPE is non-nil, it should be a string specifying the
type of the terminal attached to the specified tty.  If it is nil,
the terminal type will be inferred from the TERM environment variable." (make-device (quote tty) tty (list (quote terminal-type) terminal-type))), 3
error in process filter: Wrong number of arguments: (lambda (&optional tty terminal-type) "Create a new device on TTY.
  TTY should be the name of a tty device file (e.g. \"/dev/ttyp3\" under
SunOS et al.), as returned by the `tty' command.  A value of nil means
use the stdin and stdout as passed to XEmacs from the shell.
  If TERMINAL-TYPE is non-nil, it should be a string specifying the
type of the terminal attached to the specified tty.  If it is nil,
the terminal type will be inferred from the TERM environment variable." (make-device (quote tty) tty (list (quote terminal-type) terminal-type))), 3
Quit

If I start the emacs which acts as gnuserver with the -nw option, I
don't even get this error but nothing happens.

Can anybody point me to where I can find help?

--
Orm

* Re: gnuclient -nw anyone?
       [not found] <mailman.341.1063780380.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-17 17:32 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2003-09-17 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:32:39 +0200 Orm Finnendahl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use emacs 21.3.1 and installed the gnuclient hack for it. It works
> well if I start emacs as X application, load the gnuserver-compat code
> and issue 'gnuclient <filename>' in another terminal, which pops up a
> new frame. But if I start gnuclient with the -nw option I get the
> following error in emacs' *Messages* buffer:

gnuclient -nw isn't working with GNU emacs.  Try some
workaround with screen or use xemacs.

Regards,

David