all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* FAQ 5.44 leaves still one thing desired for font-lock
@ 2003-12-07  3:22 Bhushit Joshipura
From: Bhushit Joshipura @ 2003-12-07  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

My [x]emacs on Redhat 9.0 does not syntax highlight automatically. I
tried Emacs FAQ and found a suggestion to add this line to my .emacs.

(global-font-lock-mode 1)

This solution is however incomplete in my case. I still need to go to
options -> syntax highlighting -> In this buffer and select it.

What is the way to do this too automatically?

And to end all these questions, is there a .emacs or .xemacs
generator? It may let me select or deselect all options for a standard
[x]emacs - backspace / delete, keymaps, syntax highlighting, ... and
dump .emacs or .xemacs ?

I am a C / TCL programmer and all I want at present is a decent good
editor without being distracted.

Thanks in advance,
-Bhushit

* Re: FAQ 5.44 leaves still one thing desired for font-lock
@ 2003-12-07  4:41 ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-12-07  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

bhushit@hotmail.com (Bhushit Joshipura) writes:

> My [x]emacs on Redhat 9.0 does not syntax highlight automatically. I
> tried Emacs FAQ and found a suggestion to add this line to my
> .emacs.
>
> (global-font-lock-mode 1)
>
> This solution is however incomplete in my case. I still need to go
> to options -> syntax highlighting -> In this buffer and select it.
>
> What is the way to do this too automatically?
>
> And to end all these questions, is there a .emacs or .xemacs
> generator? It may let me select or deselect all options for a
> standard [x]emacs - backspace / delete, keymaps, syntax
> highlighting, ... and dump .emacs or .xemacs ?

If you're using an X11 based system, have you tried Options ->
Customize Emacs (at least it's there in GNU Emacs, I've never tried
Xemacs).  That might allow you do do some of these things without
having to write Lisp in your .emacs by hand.

* Re: FAQ 5.44 leaves still one thing desired for font-lock
@ 2003-12-07  8:26 ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2003-12-07  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

bhushit@hotmail.com (Bhushit Joshipura) writes:

> My [x]emacs on Redhat 9.0 does not syntax highlight automatically. I
> tried Emacs FAQ and found a suggestion to add this line to my .emacs.
>
> (global-font-lock-mode 1)

Are you sure that you're saving this to the correct file?  That should
be enough (It is for me).

Try doing "C-x C-f ~/.emacs".  Do you get the correct file?

[...]

> And to end all these questions, is there a .emacs or .xemacs
> generator? It may let me select or deselect all options for a standard
> [x]emacs - backspace / delete, keymaps, syntax highlighting, ... and
> dump .emacs or .xemacs ?

Not that I know of, but M-x customize might be easier to use for
non-lispers.  It bresents you with a browsable interface for Emacs
options.