all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* http-get/post vs url
@ 2007-01-26 14:42 Sébastien Vauban
       [not found] ` <mailman.3696.1169989731.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2007-01-26 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I'm currently writing a small app that gets information from
different Web servers and displays a summary of the gained
information.

Though, it's sometimes does not work as expected with some Web
sites.

Common errors returned are:

    o   "Saw end of trailers", and
    o   "HTTP responses in class 1xx not supported (100)".

I wonder if I'm using the best Lisp package for what I want to
do, and I'd like to hear from the experts which one I should
use, for an easy retrieval of HTTP info through get or posts,
independently of the HTTP protocol version.

Thank you for any hint.

Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: http-get/post vs url
@ 2007-01-28 12:57 ` David Hansen
       [not found] ` <mailman.3696.1169989731.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Hansen @ 2007-01-28 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 26 Jan 2007 15:42:21 +0100 Sébastien Vauban wrote:

> I wonder if I'm using the best Lisp package for what I want to
> do, and I'd like to hear from the experts which one I should
> use, for an easy retrieval of HTTP info through get or posts,
> independently of the HTTP protocol version.

Use url.el.  It's now part of Emacs and actively maintained.

David

* Re: http-get/post vs url
       [not found] ` <mailman.3696.1169989731.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-01-29 11:23   ` Sébastien Vauban
       [not found]     ` <epkp7n$6i0$1@news.sap-ag.de>
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2007-01-29 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi David,

>> I wonder if I'm using the best Lisp package for what I want to
>> do, and I'd like to hear from the experts which one I should
>> use, for an easy retrieval of HTTP info through get or posts,
>> independently of the HTTP protocol version.
>
> Use url.el.  It's now part of Emacs and actively maintained.

Thank you for your enlightening answer!

But do you know what I can do to further debug or find a
workaround against those 2 errors I got using `url.el'?

    o   "Saw end of trailers", and
    o   "HTTP responses in class 1xx not supported (100)".

Many thanks in advance,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: http-get/post vs url
@ 2007-01-29 12:39     ` David Hansen
       [not found]     ` <epkp7n$6i0$1@news.sap-ag.de>
From: David Hansen @ 2007-01-29 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 29 Jan 2007 12:23:37 +0100 Sébastien Vauban wrote:

> Hi David,
>
>>> I wonder if I'm using the best Lisp package for what I want to
>>> do, and I'd like to hear from the experts which one I should
>>> use, for an easy retrieval of HTTP info through get or posts,
>>> independently of the HTTP protocol version.
>>
>> Use url.el.  It's now part of Emacs and actively maintained.
>
> Thank you for your enlightening answer!
>
> But do you know what I can do to further debug or find a
> workaround against those 2 errors I got using `url.el'?
>
>     o   "Saw end of trailers", and
>     o   "HTTP responses in class 1xx not supported (100)".

If you are using url.el from GNU Emacs CVS the best place to
ask would be the emacs developer mailing list.

Otherwise it's probably the best to switch to this version.
AFAIK someone already "fixed" W3 to work with it.  So the
version that comes with GNU Emacs is kind of "official" and
most probably the most used one.

David

* Re: http-get/post vs url
       [not found]     ` <epkp7n$6i0$1@news.sap-ag.de>
@ 2007-01-30  9:00       ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2007-01-30  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Klaus and David,

> > But do you know what I can do to further debug or find a
> > workaround against those 2 errors I got using `url.el'?
> >
> >     "Saw end of trailers"
>
> This is not an error, if I understand url-http.el correctly.

I'll check once again the factual problems it brought me. But
that was one reason for me to investigate, some weeks ago,
around http-get/post.

> >     "HTTP responses in class 1xx not supported (100)".
>
> This message is sufficiently clear, isn't it?
> Currently the URL library does not implement a proper response to the
> HTTP status code 100 (meaning "Continue").
>
> As far as I understand the HTTP specification, well-behaved servers
> should not send this status code for any of the requests that are sent
> by the URL library. I know of at least one server that does this
> anyway, unfortunately.

For sure, I've found a second one: the server from which I try
to get information.

    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:57:54 GMT
    Server: Apache

    (this extract does not show the 100 response; just the
    server in question)

Thanks for your info!

Seb

--