Hi Thierry Thierry Volpiatto writes: > Hi, if you write > > (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials > '(("mail.gmx.net" 25 "***" "***"))) > > that mean you want to use starttls and you need to set > mail and password instead of "***" "***" and "mail.gmx.net" > must be the adress of an smtp server. Yes, gmx requires authentication, but, according to their documentation, doesn't require (isn't able to understand) a secure transmission of the login-data. I was thinking this is what is called TLS. Gmx doesn't -- of course, grrr -- have a configuration instruction for Gnus on its homepage. In the documentation for Thunderbird, they say "Use Secure Transmission (TSL/SSL)" must _not_ be enabled. Anyway, username and password have to be transmitted. That the "***"'s have to be username and password is clear. I only masked them for the posting. mail.gmx.net is the SMTP-Server. > And are you sure your friend have some MTA installed > (i use nbsmtp) We both have exim4 as the system's MTA. His is not configured. Mine is configured for my usual smtp server which is different from gmx (I use the one provided by my internet provider). But does Gnus really make use of exim4? I was thinking it comes with its own MTA. How else can it be explained that I could just edit my .gnus.el for using the SMTP-server of gmx yesterday -- which was working -- without changing my exim4 configuration? Thanks for your help Sven