all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#3643: minibuffer beyond end of screen in emacs23
@ 2009-10-23 16:06 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-10-23 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: 3643

Do you still see this problem with latest Emacs from CVS trunk?

[parent not found: <jwv4otx1nb5.fsf-monnier+emacsbugreports@gnu.org>]
* bug#3643: minibuffer beyond end of screen in emacs23
@ 2009-06-22 20:02 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-06-22 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: 3643

> Can you believe with emacs23, the first time user doing
> $ emacs
> will get an emacs with the minibuffer inaccessible off the user's
> monitor?!

Nowhere in your bug report do you mention the screen resolution you're
using, nor any other details that will help diagnose the problem.

* bug#3643: minibuffer beyond end of screen in emacs23
@ 2009-06-21 20:50 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2009-06-21 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Can you believe with emacs23, the first time user doing
$ emacs
will get an emacs with the minibuffer inaccessible off the user's
monitor?!

That's right, all he needs is a laptop as regular sized as the one Dr. Stallman
carries around, AND he uses X-windows.

Try this test in emacs23
$ xrdb /dev/null
$ seq 222 > /tmp/v
$ emacs -Q /tmp/v # minibuffer inaccessible off the user's monitor, same with -q
$ emacs -Q -eval '(tool-bar-mode 0)' /tmp/v # needed for emacs23

On my monitor, the file is shown with the bottom line being emacs22: 38,
emacs23: 36.

The problem is with emacs23 the minibuffer is inaccessible, beyond the
bottom.

Apparently developers never tested on anything less than long luxurious
screens or used icewm or something.

emacs-version "23.0.94.1"