all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How expansive "bzr update" for Emacs trunk?
@ 2010-07-26 20:39 Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2010-07-26 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

   $ cat ~/devel/emacs/trunk/.bzr/branch/branch.conf
parent_location = http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk/
submit_branch = http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk/
bound_location = http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk/
bound = True

I mark that "bzr update" take about 1 MiB for
"Finding Revisions" and a lot MiB
(5.5 MiB between yesterday and today).

Is really bzr so dumb that require a lot of network traffic?
Or into Emacs sources go a lot of commit?

I restricted with 3G or GPRS Internet connection.
One time a month commit I get about 5 hours
(~7 KiB/sec download speed)!

Is bzr use plain (uncompressed) schema for
propagating changes?

So may be good switch to ssh protocol and set compression?

I also heir (but sorry if not correct) that bzr
developed for local network connection.
And for example if exist new changes it send
last 50 changeset even new only 1!

--
Best regards!

* Re: How expansive "bzr update" for Emacs trunk?
@ 2010-07-27  8:13 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-07-27  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Oleksandr,

> I mark that "bzr update" take about 1 MiB for
> "Finding Revisions" and a lot MiB
> (5.5 MiB between yesterday and today).
>
> Is really bzr so dumb that require a lot of network traffic?

Yes, accessing a bzr repository via http produces extremely much network
traffic.

> I restricted with 3G or GPRS Internet connection.
> One time a month commit I get about 5 hours
> (~7 KiB/sec download speed)!

Oh, that must be really awful.

> So may be good switch to ssh protocol and set compression?

Yes, it's planned to switch the Emacs repository to a smart server using
ssh access.  See the following tickets on savannah and the discussion:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107077
  https://savannah.gnu.org/support/index.php?107143
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2010-03/msg00011.html

But the latest traffic seems to be in March, so I have no clue about the
current status...

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: How expansive "bzr update" for Emacs trunk?
       [not found] <mailman.20.1280176760.16726.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-07-27 17:11 ` Jason Earl
From: Jason Earl @ 2010-07-27 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Jul 26 2010, Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:

>   $ cat ~/devel/emacs/trunk/.bzr/branch/branch.conf
> parent_location = http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk/
> submit_branch = http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk/
> bound_location = http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk/
> bound = True
>
> I mark that "bzr update" take about 1 MiB for
> "Finding Revisions" and a lot MiB
> (5.5 MiB between yesterday and today).
>
> Is really bzr so dumb that require a lot of network traffic?
> Or into Emacs sources go a lot of commit?
>
> I restricted with 3G or GPRS Internet connection.
> One time a month commit I get about 5 hours
> (~7 KiB/sec download speed)!
>
> Is bzr use plain (uncompressed) schema for
> propagating changes?
>
> So may be good switch to ssh protocol and set compression?
>
> I also heir (but sorry if not correct) that bzr
> developed for local network connection.
> And for example if exist new changes it send
> last 50 changeset even new only 1!

A partial solution, if you don't need to commit is to use launchpad's
mirror of the Emacs repository.  To get the bzr+ssh access (that allows
you to use the smart server) you'll have to actually have a launchpad
account (and I think you need to upload a public ssh key), but it is a
pretty big improvement over the dumb bzr server that is available from
savannah.

If signing up for launchpad.net is problematic then email me privately
(the email address will work) and I will send you a link to a bzr mirror
of the repository that I maintain that uses the straight bzr:// protocol
and doesn't require any authentication.

Alternatively there is a git mirror at:

http://repo.or.cz/w/emacs.git

I hope this is helpful.

Jason

* Re: How expansive "bzr update" for Emacs trunk?
@ 2010-07-31 17:04   ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2010-07-31 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-07-27 11:13, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Oleksandr Gavenko<gavenkoa@gmail.com>  writes:
>
> Hi Oleksandr,
>
>> I mark that "bzr update" take about 1 MiB for
>> "Finding Revisions" and a lot MiB
>> (5.5 MiB between yesterday and today).
>>
>> Is really bzr so dumb that require a lot of network traffic?
>
> Yes, accessing a bzr repository via http produces extremely much network
> traffic.
>
>> I restricted with 3G or GPRS Internet connection.
>> One time a month commit I get about 5 hours
>> (~7 KiB/sec download speed)!
>
> Oh, that must be really awful.
>
>> So may be good switch to ssh protocol and set compression?
>
> Yes, it's planned to switch the Emacs repository to a smart server using
> ssh access.  See the following tickets on savannah and the discussion:
>
>    https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107077
>    https://savannah.gnu.org/support/index.php?107143
>    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2010-03/msg00011.html
>
> But the latest traffic seems to be in March, so I have no clue about the
> current status...

Thanks for replay. A read tickets.

This ticket valuable for developer.

I need only read access and for me sftp done job as
python through paramiko use /bin/ssh
and I can set:

   $ cat ~/.ssh/config
Compression yes
CompressionLevel 8

But as I understand I have no access through sftp protocol
as I am not a Emacs developer. About this written at

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs

Is there exist a way to use sftp, this save me
a lot of time to wait update?

I try:

   $ bzr up sftp://gavenkoa@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs/trunk/
Permission denied (publickey).
bzr: ERROR: Unable to connect to SSH host bzr.savannah.gnu.org; EOF
during negotiation
   $ bzr up sftp://gavenkoa@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/srv/bzr/emacs/trunk

@ 2010-07-31 19:20     ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2010-07-31 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 31.07.2010 19:04, schrieb Oleksandr Gavenko:
> On 2010-07-27 11:13, Tassilo Horn wrote:
>> Oleksandr Gavenko<gavenkoa@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Hi Oleksandr,
>>
>>> I mark that "bzr update" take about 1 MiB for
>>> "Finding Revisions" and a lot MiB
>>> (5.5 MiB between yesterday and today).
>>>
>>> Is really bzr so dumb that require a lot of network traffic?
>>
>> Yes, accessing a bzr repository via http produces extremely much network
>> traffic.
>>
>>> I restricted with 3G or GPRS Internet connection.
>>> One time a month commit I get about 5 hours
>>> (~7 KiB/sec download speed)!
>>
>> Oh, that must be really awful.
>>
>>> So may be good switch to ssh protocol and set compression?
>>
>> Yes, it's planned to switch the Emacs repository to a smart server using
>> ssh access. See the following tickets on savannah and the discussion:
>>
>> https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107077
>> https://savannah.gnu.org/support/index.php?107143
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2010-03/msg00011.html
>>

>> But the latest traffic seems to be in March, so I have no clue about the
>> current status...
>
> Thanks for replay. A read tickets.
>
> This ticket valuable for developer.
>
> I need only read access

In this case you may try

git clone git://repo.or.cz/emacs.git

an emacs-clone at a git-repo, updated quite often.

Should be faster.

Andreas

@ 2010-08-01  9:58     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-08-01  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Oleksandr,

> But as I understand I have no access through sftp protocol
> as I am not a Emacs developer.

The emacs developers don't have sftp access, too.

If you only want to have an up-to-date emacs, I'd pull from the Git
mirror as Andreas suggested.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: How expansive "bzr update" for Emacs trunk?
@ 2010-08-01 11:10       ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2010-08-01 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-07-31 22:20, Andreas Röhler wrote:
> Am 31.07.2010 19:04, schrieb Oleksandr Gavenko:
>> On 2010-07-27 11:13, Tassilo Horn wrote:
>>> Oleksandr Gavenko<gavenkoa@gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>> Hi Oleksandr,

>>> Yes, accessing a bzr repository via http produces extremely much network
>>> traffic.

>>> Oh, that must be really awful.

>>> Yes, it's planned to switch the Emacs repository to a smart server using
>>> ssh access. See the following tickets on savannah and the discussion:
>>>
>>> https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107077
>>> https://savannah.gnu.org/support/index.php?107143
>>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2010-03/msg00011.html
>>>

>>> But the latest traffic seems to be in March, so I have no clue about the
>>> current status...
>>
>> Thanks for replay. A read tickets.
>>
>> This ticket valuable for developer.
>>
>> I need only read access
>

> In this case you may try
>
> git clone git://repo.or.cz/emacs.git
>
> an emacs-clone at a git-repo, updated quite often.
>
> Should be faster.

Thanks. I try use git mirror. Also I found wiki link:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsFromGit

There are two other mirror links.

Interesting that wiki state that git mirror occupy ~300 MiB.
My local bzr 2.0 repo occupy:

   $ du -s -m emacs/.bzr
260	emacs/.bzr
   $ du -s -m emacs/trunk/.bzr
1	emacs/trunk/.bzr

So we may be think that bzr storage more efficient.

But also I sadly notice that such simple operation as
getting log or annotate for trunk files take about 15-20 seconds!

May be because large history.

My experience with Mercurial and
server side SVN with up to 30.000 commits take
less then 1-2 sec. for this operations.

--

@ 2010-08-01 17:53         ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2010-08-01 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 01.08.2010 13:10, schrieb Oleksandr Gavenko:
> On 2010-07-31 22:20, Andreas Röhler wrote:

>>> Thanks for replay. A read tickets.
>>>
>>> This ticket valuable for developer.
>>>
>>> I need only read access
>>

>> In this case you may try
>>
>> git clone git://repo.or.cz/emacs.git
>>
>> an emacs-clone at a git-repo, updated quite often.
>>
>> Should be faster.
>
> Thanks. I try use git mirror. Also I found wiki link:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsFromGit
>
> There are two other mirror links.

still 2 mirrors mirroing the mirror mentioned

> Interesting that wiki state that git mirror occupy ~300 MiB.
> My local bzr 2.0 repo occupy:
>
> $ du -s -m emacs/.bzr
> 260 emacs/.bzr
> $ du -s -m emacs/trunk/.bzr
> 1 emacs/trunk/.bzr
>
> So we may be think that bzr storage more efficient.

the first looks like "about 300 MB", as emacs-wiki says, the second just
like empty.

> But also I sadly notice that such simple operation as
> getting log or annotate for trunk files take about 15-20 seconds!

should be faster with git too