all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Could someone give me a hint how to write my own function based on tramp?
@ 2010-09-04  9:16 Lei Wang
From: Lei Wang @ 2010-09-04  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to write a function for my own use. It is going to be a wraper
of an operation sequence, such as, change to root, run some shell and
create and open a file. But i even can't find to use which tramp
function, and how does tramp start.

Could anyone give some advices?

--
Regards,
Lei

* Re: Could someone give me a hint how to write my own function based on tramp?
@ 2010-09-04 10:29 ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2010-09-04 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lei Wang <f3d27b@gmail.com> writes:

> I want to write a function for my own use. It is going to be a wraper of an
> operation sequence, such as, change to root, run some shell and create and
> open a file. But i even can't find to use which tramp function, and how does
> tramp start.

Yeah.  You probably won't find TRAMP much help in writing that, frankly,
because it does a lot of things that are entirely irrelevant but quite complex
compared to what you want.

Anyway, it hooks in through the `file-name-handler-alist', and the methods
`tramp{,completion-}-file-name-handler' which then go ahead and act on the
path passed by the user.

> Could anyone give some advices?

If you define your problem better for us you can likely get better advice.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707

* Re: Could someone give me a hint how to write my own function based on tramp?
@ 2010-09-04 12:54   ` Lei Wang
From: Lei Wang @ 2010-09-04 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Pittman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 9/4/10, Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:
> Lei Wang <f3d27b@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I want to write a function for my own use. It is going to be a wraper of
>> an
>> operation sequence, such as, change to root, run some shell and create and
>> open a file. But i even can't find to use which tramp function, and how
>> does
>> tramp start.
>
> Yeah.  You probably won't find TRAMP much help in writing that, frankly,
> because it does a lot of things that are entirely irrelevant but quite
> complex
> compared to what you want.

Thanks for this information.

> Anyway, it hooks in through the `file-name-handler-alist', and the methods
> `tramp{,completion-}-file-name-handler' which then go ahead and act on the
> path passed by the user.
>
>> Could anyone give some advices?
>
> If you define your problem better for us you can likely get better advice.

Ok. Nowadays, when i want to access a crypto partition, i do the
following steps, open a shell, su to root, /sbin/cryptsetup luksOpen,
mount, create a file, edit, save, umount, /sbin/cryptsetup luksClose.
It's very annoying. So i want to make a wrapper function. Of course,
the 2 times  password inputs couldn't be bypassed.

--

@ 2010-09-04 18:45     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2010-09-04 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lei Wang; +Cc: Daniel Pittman, help-gnu-emacs

Lei Wang <f3d27b@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I want to write a function for my own use. It is going to be a wraper of
>>> an
>>> operation sequence, such as, change to root, run some shell and create and
>>> open a file. But i even can't find to use which tramp function, and how
>>> does
>>> tramp start.
>>
>> Yeah.  You probably won't find TRAMP much help in writing that, frankly,
>> because it does a lot of things that are entirely irrelevant but quite
>> complex
>> compared to what you want.
>
> Thanks for this information.

Likely, you don't need to think about Tramp at all. When you operate
with a default-directory pointing to your remote host, Emacs' functions
like `shell', `process-file' and `start-file-process' work on the remote
host. Whether it is Tramp or not, is not relevant.

(Tramp works in the background for you. It requires Tramp 2.1, also part
of Emacs 23)

> Ok. Nowadays, when i want to access a crypto partition, i do the
> following steps, open a shell, su to root, /sbin/cryptsetup luksOpen,
> mount, create a file, edit, save, umount, /sbin/cryptsetup luksClose.
> It's very annoying. So i want to make a wrapper function. Of course,
> the 2 times  password inputs couldn't be bypassed.

(let ((default-directory "/su::/"))
  ... do your actions ...
  )

> Regards,
> Lei

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Could someone give me a hint how to write my own function based on tramp?
@ 2010-09-05  1:51       ` Lei Wang
From: Lei Wang @ 2010-09-05  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Daniel Pittman, help-gnu-emacs

Thank you very much! Now, i know how to do it.

It's very helpful. Thanks you all!

--
Regards,
Lei