all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [Xming + emacsclient] How to load a library in an emacsclient call
@ 2011-02-05 22:31 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-02-05 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Can anyone coach me about syntax or other format items to do this:

Call emacs using emacsclient but including a call to load a specific
library.

It doesn't end there though.

The call is being executed through Xming *.launch script from windows
7.

I have no problem calling emacs via emacslcient thru Xming.  Its just
that I'm not sure how to include an emacs command into the same
command line.

If I could see how to do the above from the linux cmdline I'm pretty
sure I could figure out to work it into an xming script, but, I'm not
even sure how to do this at a linux command prompt beyond calling
emacs like this:

 (the server running is named `nognus'
  emacsclient -s nognus -c

That will start emacs from the named daemon.  But how to have emacs to
load a specific library when called?

The emacsclient man page seems to indicate that the `-e' switch might do
what I want.  So I thought if used in tandem with the other command
like this:

(NOTE: the xming-on-m1 `library' sets a specific font and bkg foregrd colors
to use on a specific host `m1')

emacsclient -s nognus -e "(load-library \"xming-on-m1\")" ; \
emacsclient -s nognus -c

That doesn't work... there are no errors but the resulting emacs does
not have the xming-on-m1 library loaded.  So I guess it needs to be
worked into a single command.

So cutting to the chase:

The question is how to make emacs read a specific library or file in
an emacsclient command line.

* Re: [Xming + emacsclient] How to load a library in an emacsclient call
@ 2011-02-06  0:26 ` trebol55555
From: trebol55555 @ 2011-02-06  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Can anyone coach me about syntax or other format items to do this:
>
> Call emacs using emacsclient but including a call to load a specific
> library.
>
> It doesn't end there though.
>
> The call is being executed through Xming *.launch script from windows
> 7.
>
> I have no problem calling emacs via emacslcient thru Xming.  Its just
> that I'm not sure how to include an emacs command into the same
> command line.
>
> If I could see how to do the above from the linux cmdline I'm pretty
> sure I could figure out to work it into an xming script, but, I'm not
> even sure how to do this at a linux command prompt beyond calling
> emacs like this:
>
>  (the server running is named `nognus'
>   emacsclient -s nognus -c
>
> That will start emacs from the named daemon.  But how to have emacs to
> load a specific library when called?
>
> The emacsclient man page seems to indicate that the `-e' switch might do
> what I want.  So I thought if used in tandem with the other command
> like this:
>
> (NOTE: the xming-on-m1 `library' sets a specific font and bkg foregrd colors
> to use on a specific host `m1')
>
> emacsclient -s nognus -e "(load-library \"xming-on-m1\")" ; \
> emacsclient -s nognus -c
>
> That doesn't work... there are no errors but the resulting emacs does
> not have the xming-on-m1 library loaded.  So I guess it needs to be
> worked into a single command.
>
> So cutting to the chase:
>
> The question is how to make emacs read a specific library or file in
> an emacsclient command line.

Hello Harry,

The comands:

$ emacsclient -c -s nameserver -e "(load-library \"namelibrary\")
$ emacsclient -c -s nameserver -e "(load-file \"file_path\")"

works in linux without problem. I don't know anything about xming, but
this is the correct syntax.

Good luck,
Trebol.

* Re: [Xming + emacsclient] How to load a library in an emacsclient call
@ 2011-02-06  2:02   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-02-06  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

trebol55555@yahoo.es writes:

>> (NOTE: the xming-on-m1 `library' sets a specific font and bkg foregrd colors
>> to use on a specific host `m1')
>>
>> emacsclient -s nognus -e "(load-library \"xming-on-m1\")" ; \
>> emacsclient -s nognus -c
>>
>> That doesn't work... there are no errors but the resulting emacs does
>> not have the xming-on-m1 library loaded.  So I guess it needs to be
>> worked into a single command.
>>
>> So cutting to the chase:
>>
>> The question is how to make emacs read a specific library or file in
>> an emacsclient command line.
>
> Hello Harry,
>
> The comands:
>
> $ emacsclient -c -s nameserver -e "(load-library \"namelibrary\")
> $ emacsclient -c -s nameserver -e "(load-file \"file_path\")"
>
> works in linux without problem. I don't know anything about xming, but
> this is the correct syntax.

Ahhh... thanks... why I missed that format is a mystery to me.  Caved
in to quick I guess.

Thanks alot.

* Re: [Xming + emacsclient] How to load a library in an emacsclient call
@ 2011-02-06  4:12     ` trebol55555
From: trebol55555 @ 2011-02-06  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> trebol55555@yahoo.es writes:
>
>>> (NOTE: the xming-on-m1 `library' sets a specific font and bkg foregrd colors
>>> to use on a specific host `m1')
>>>
>>> emacsclient -s nognus -e "(load-library \"xming-on-m1\")" ; \
>>> emacsclient -s nognus -c
>>>
>>> That doesn't work... there are no errors but the resulting emacs does
>>> not have the xming-on-m1 library loaded.  So I guess it needs to be
>>> worked into a single command.
>>>
>>> So cutting to the chase:
>>>
>>> The question is how to make emacs read a specific library or file in
>>> an emacsclient command line.
>>
>> Hello Harry,
>>
>> The comands:
>>
>> $ emacsclient -c -s nameserver -e "(load-library \"namelibrary\")
>> $ emacsclient -c -s nameserver -e "(load-file \"file_path\")"
>>
>> works in linux without problem. I don't know anything about xming, but
>> this is the correct syntax.
>
> Ahhh... thanks... why I missed that format is a mystery to me.  Caved
> in to quick I guess.
>
> Thanks alot.

Hello Harry,
I forgave final quotes in first command:

$ emacsclient -c -s nameserver -e "(load-library \"namelibrary\")"

Just in case... Bye,
Trebol.