"Ludwig, Mark" writes: > I frequently encounter data files that are supposed to be 100% > ASCII but contain long sequences of NUL characters (ASCII zero). > (The reasons are out of my control.) > > When I first started using EMACS [sic] in 1980, I was delighted > to find it served as a very fine binary file editor.  It seems > that modern Emacs no longer is a fine binary file – at least not > by default. > > What happens is that as I scroll through the file, when the NULs > are visible, Emacs gets into some intensive processing for a long > time (minutes, sometimes!).  It eventually unwinds and repaints > the display, but any movement of point sends it into this loop > again.  I have found that M-< or M-> will quickly reposition away > from the problem (assuming the beginning and/or end of the file > do not contain NULs).  Most other movement operations send it > into the loop. > > I understand about encodings, and have messed around with forcing > it into us-ascii, but it appears not to be related to this CPU > consumption problem.  Does anyone know how to solve this?  I’ll > file a bug report if this is a legitimate bug.  I’m just > concerned that it’s a “feature” of some sort, though I hope not. > > Thanks! > Mark What about trying `hexl-mode'? -- Carl Lei (XeCycle) Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University OpenPGP public key: 7795E591 Fingerprint: 1FB6 7F1F D45D F681 C845 27F7 8D71 8EC4 7795 E591