all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs set marker behavior
@ 2012-05-01 13:06 Yuan Luo
From: Yuan Luo @ 2012-05-01 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am annoyed by the behavior that out of a sudden emacs set marker on
current cursor point and if I go to the end of line or go to the end of
buffer, it selects the regions and by the time I type, that region is cut &
gone!

I want to change its behavior so unless I press Ctrl+@, emacs never sets
marker itself, how do I do that?

Best,
Yuan

* Re: emacs set marker behavior
@ 2012-05-01 13:14 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-01 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuan Luo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Yuan Luo <yuan.hypnos.luo@gmail.com> writes:

> I am annoyed by the behavior that out of a sudden emacs set marker on
> current cursor point and if I go to the end of line or go to the end
> of buffer, it selects the regions and by the time I type, that region
> is cut & gone!
>
> I want to change its behavior so unless I press Ctrl+@, emacs never
> sets marker itself, how do I do that?

(setq delete-active-region nil) so that it doesn't delete the active
region.

--
 Bastien

* Re: emacs set marker behavior
@ 2012-05-01 13:18 ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2012-05-01 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yuan Luo <yuan.hypnos.luo@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am annoyed by the behavior that out of a sudden emacs set
> marker on current cursor point and if I go to the end of line or
> go to the end of buffer, it selects the regions and by the time I
> type, that region is cut & gone!
>
> I want to change its behavior so unless I press Ctrl+@, emacs
> never sets marker itself, how do I do that?

These markers are useful, but you have probably configured
something else so that these markers become active.  Figure out
what's that, and disable that.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: emacs set marker behavior
       [not found] <mailman.354.1335877571.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-05-19 19:44 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2012-05-19 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Die Tue May 01 2012 08:06:03 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) Yuan Luo
<yuan.hypnos.luo@gmail.com> scripsit:

> Hi,
> I am annoyed by the behavior that out of a sudden emacs set marker on
> current cursor point and if I go to the end of line or go to the end of
> buffer, it selects the regions and by the time I type, that region is
> cut & gone!
>
> I want to change its behavior so unless I press Ctrl+@, emacs never sets
> marker itself, how do I do that?
>
> Best,
> Yuan

You mean mark instead of marker, right?
Is this using mouse in console? See gpm-mouse-mode. Also
delete-selection-mode.
Then, you could substitute the "nomark" flavors of many functions for
their "mark" varieties where appropriate.