all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Corrupted byte compiled files
@ 2012-05-29 13:25 Pierre Lorenzon
From: Pierre Lorenzon @ 2012-05-29 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[-- Attachment #1: Type: Text/Plain, Size: 1098 bytes --]

Hi,

Certain of my .el files are incorrectly compiled. See the .elc
file with a long name.

More details : It seems that a part of the .elc file is missing
as if a part of the character strream was discarded. I cannot
figure out why.

But more suprisingly when renaming the file with a much more
shorter name everything goes well as if there was a limitation
in the file name length. I must point out that there are only
ascii characters composing the file name.

Moreover even with the long name the .el (uncompiled file) is
perfectly correct and load perfectly as well as the .elc
(compiled file) with the short name.

I had this problem with emacs 24.0.50 as well as witth
24.0.95. I should say that I am using these devloppeing
versions since I appreciate ieieio to be integrated in it. I
never had this compilation problem with emacs 23 but probalbly
never tried with so long file names. Moreover emacs 23 is no
longer available on my system to test. But if it could be
useful I can reinstall this stable version.

See examples attached.

Is there a limitation somewhere ?

Regards

Pierre

[-- Attachment #2: Toto.elc --]
[-- Type: Application/Octet-Stream, Size: 1176 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: Toto.el --]
[-- Type: Text/Plain, Size: 625 bytes --]

(TeX-add-style-hook '(Tss-slave :name "Etude-des-Fonctions-Zeta-des-Courbes-Modulaires-Aux-Places-de-Bonne-Reductions/Reformulation-En-Theorie-des-Groupes" :master-directory "../" :state (new))
		    (lambda ()
		      (TeX-style-system-init-master "../Scholze")
		      (LaTeX-add-index-entries
		       "$\\sigma$-conjugués"
		       "$\\sigma$-centralisateur"
		       )
		      (LaTeX-add-labels
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.lem.8"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.pro.4"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.lem.10"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.thm.7"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.pro.5"
		       )

		      )
		    )

[-- Attachment #4: Reformulation-En-Theorie-des-Groupes.elc --]
[-- Type: Application/Octet-Stream, Size: 1208 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #5: Reformulation-En-Theorie-des-Groupes.el --]
[-- Type: Text/Plain, Size: 625 bytes --]

(TeX-add-style-hook '(Tss-slave :name "Etude-des-Fonctions-Zeta-des-Courbes-Modulaires-Aux-Places-de-Bonne-Reductions/Reformulation-En-Theorie-des-Groupes" :master-directory "../" :state (new))
		    (lambda ()
		      (TeX-style-system-init-master "../Scholze")
		      (LaTeX-add-index-entries
		       "$\\sigma$-conjugués"
		       "$\\sigma$-centralisateur"
		       )
		      (LaTeX-add-labels
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.lem.8"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.pro.4"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.lem.10"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.thm.7"
		       "SCH.zeta.groupe.pro.5"
		       )

		      )
		    )

* Re: Corrupted byte compiled files
       [not found] <mailman.1848.1338298974.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-05-29 18:39 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-05-29 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Certain of my .el files are incorrectly compiled. See the .elc
> file with a long name.

Indeed, I can reproduce it here, and also with Emacs-23.
I don't have time to dig into it now, tho, so please M-x
report-emacs-bug so it doesn't get lost.

* Re: Corrupted byte compiled files
@ 2012-05-30  6:54   ` Pierre Lorenzon
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2011.1338480750.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pierre Lorenzon @ 2012-05-30  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Subject: Re: Corrupted byte compiled files
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 14:39:09 -0400

>> Certain of my .el files are incorrectly compiled. See the .elc
>> file with a long name.
>
> Indeed, I can reproduce it here, and also with Emacs-23.

  Does that mean that none never tried to compile file with
  long name before .... or that the problem does not come
  exclusively from the length of the name ....

> I don't have time to dig into it now, tho, so please M-x
> report-emacs-bug so it doesn't get lost.

  OK I'll do that. But since I now know that there is really a
  problem I'll have a look at the byte compiling engine
  code. Maybe I can discover where is th problem ....

  Thanks

  Pierre

@ 2012-05-31 11:43     ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2011.1338480750.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-05-31 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Lorenzon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Stefan Monnier

Pierre Lorenzon <devel@pollock-nageoire.net> writes:

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Subject: Re: Corrupted byte compiled files
> Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 14:39:09 -0400
>
>>> Certain of my .el files are incorrectly compiled. See the .elc
>>> file with a long name.
>>
>> Indeed, I can reproduce it here, and also with Emacs-23.
>
>   Does that mean that none never tried to compile file with
>   long name before .... or that the problem does not come
>   exclusively from the length of the name ....

Argh, some very recent change in trunk seems to have hosed
byte-compilation altogether for me.  I have several emacs addon packages
like Gnus, AUCTeX, helm cloned from their repositories, and as soon as I
byte-compile those with today's emacs (revno 108437), they won't work at
all.  It seems there are complete functions missing in the elc files and
I get dozens of "Wrong type argument" errors at different locations.
After deleting all elc files and running from the plain elisp sources,
everything works again.

Bye,
Tassilo

@ 2012-05-31 17:46       ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2012-05-31 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Argh, some very recent change in trunk seems to have hosed
> byte-compilation altogether for me.  I have several emacs addon packages
> like Gnus, AUCTeX, helm cloned from their repositories, and as soon as I
> byte-compile those with today's emacs (revno 108437), they won't work at
> all.  It seems there are complete functions missing in the elc files and
> I get dozens of "Wrong type argument" errors at different locations.
> After deleting all elc files and running from the plain elisp sources,
> everything works again.

Probably the same as

http://debbugs.gnu.org/11594

* Re: Corrupted byte compiled files
@ 2012-05-31 18:56         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-05-31 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Johan Bockgård <bojohan+news@gnu.org> writes:

>> Argh, some very recent change in trunk seems to have hosed
>> byte-compilation altogether for me.  I have several emacs addon
>> packages like Gnus, AUCTeX, helm cloned from their repositories, and
>> as soon as I byte-compile those with today's emacs (revno 108437),
>> they won't work at all.  It seems there are complete functions
>> missing in the elc files and I get dozens of "Wrong type argument"
>> errors at different locations.  After deleting all elc files and
>> running from the plain elisp sources, everything works again.
>
> Probably the same as
>
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/11594

Yes, those are the same symptoms I have here.  Thanks for the pointer.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Corrupted byte compiled files
@ 2012-06-01  6:51         ` Pierre Lorenzon
From: Pierre Lorenzon @ 2012-06-01  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

From: Johan Bockgård <bojohan+news@gnu.org>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 19:46:00 +0200

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>> Argh, some very recent change in trunk seems to have hosed
>> byte-compilation altogether for me.  I have several emacs addon packages
>> like Gnus, AUCTeX, helm cloned from their repositories, and as soon as I
>> byte-compile those with today's emacs (revno 108437), they won't work at
>> all.  It seems there are complete functions missing in the elc files and
>> I get dozens of "Wrong type argument" errors at different locations.
>> After deleting all elc files and running from the plain elisp sources,
>> everything works again.

   I think that the problem is different from mine. Indeed the
   compilation problem I encountered was due to the
   byte-compile-fix-header method which was clearly bugged. But
   we solved that.

   Pierre