all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* questions about eww
@ 2013-07-17 21:07 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2013-07-17 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I recently tried eww, the new web-browser for Emacs and I'm not sure
everything works as it should in my case.

First, not all pictures are displayed. For example, on the wikipedia
page about kitten (example from thhe eww author at
http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2013/06/eww.html), I only have the link to
the first picture.

Also, the eww-buffer is not read-only : typing RETURN while not a link
inserts a newline in the text which is confusing. Is it the expected
behaviour ?

Julien.

* Re: questions about eww
       [not found] <mailman.1290.1374095248.12400.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-07-18 13:35 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-07-18 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> First, not all pictures are displayed. For example, on the wikipedia
> page about kitten (example from thhe eww author at
> http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2013/06/eww.html), I only have the link to
> the first picture.

If the image source takes a lot of time, `url-queue' will give up on
fetching the images.  Does `g' (refresh) fetch the missing images?

> Also, the eww-buffer is not read-only : typing RETURN while not a link
> inserts a newline in the text which is confusing. Is it the expected
> behaviour ?

It's the expected behaviour now, because we didn't really finish our
arguing about how to implement a buffer where most of the text is
read-only, but there are some bits that aren't.  But eventually it'll be
a read-only buffer, one way or the other...

* Re: questions about eww
@ 2013-07-18 20:30   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2013-07-18 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <lmi@gnus.org> writes:

> If the image source takes a lot of time, `url-queue' will give up on
> fetching the images.  Does `g' (refresh) fetch the missing images?

With a better connection, I can finally see the kitten. It must have
been a time out problem as you suggested.

> It's the expected behaviour now, because we didn't really finish our
> arguing about how to implement a buffer where most of the text is
> read-only, but there are some bits that aren't.  But eventually it'll be
> a read-only buffer, one way or the other...

OK.