all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problems with KDE and Clipboard.
@ 2012-09-26 12:30 Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2012-09-26 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Since upgrading to Emacs 24, I have been having problems copy/pasting
between Emacs and other X applications. I am using Archlinux with KDE
and my emacs is:

GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.4)
  of 2012-08-28 on shaun

Symptoms:

When I first start emacs I can copy/paste between something like Chrome
and Emacs without a problem. However, after a while items I select from
Klipper are not pasted into Emacs, but the last item from the Kill ring
gets pasted instead. If I restart Emacs it works as I would expect for a
certain number of copy pastes, but then the problem re-occurs.

Relevant sections from my .emacs:

(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)      ;use system clipboard
(setq mouse-drag-copy-region nil)  ; stops selection with a mouse being
immediately injected to the kill ring
(setq x-select-enable-primary nil)  ; stops killing/yanking interacting
with primary X11 selection
(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)  ; makes killing/yanking interact
with clipboard X11 selection

I have read the Emacs wiki page about clipboard interaction, but can't
see anything there that might help. My current setup works fine with
Emacs 23.

Ian.