all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116379: Replace "Maintainer: FSF" with the emacs-devel mailing address
       [not found] <E1WCfma-0005gV-3S@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2014-02-10 17:05 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-02-10 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

>   Replace "Maintainer: FSF" with the emacs-devel mailing address

Why?  I mean, I agree that "FSF" is not really right, but I don't think
emacs-devel@gnu.org is really better.  In many/most cases "FSF" really
meant "there's no maintainer".  So instead of "emacs-devel@gnu.org"
maybe we should use "None" or "Wanted".

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116379: Replace "Maintainer: FSF" with the emacs-devel mailing address
@ 2014-02-10 17:12   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-02-10 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>   Replace "Maintainer: FSF" with the emacs-devel mailing address
>
> Why?  I mean, I agree that "FSF" is not really right

OK, that was my main point. The FSF is the copyright holder for Emacs,
yes, but it does not maintain it. Also it seems better to use a real
(list) email address, since IME people try to mail it sometimes.

> In many/most cases "FSF" really meant "there's no maintainer". So
> instead of "emacs-devel@gnu.org" maybe we should use "None" or
> "Wanted".

Not sure I agree, but I certainly would not object to adding something
about a Maintainer being wanted in some cases (but not all). But then
interested people should contact... emacs-devel.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116379: Replace "Maintainer: FSF" with the emacs-devel mailing address
@ 2014-02-10 18:17     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2014-02-10 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 12:12:19 -0500 Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

GM> Not sure I agree, but I certainly would not object to adding something
GM> about a Maintainer being wanted in some cases (but not all). But then
GM> interested people should contact... emacs-devel.

maintainer-wanted@gnu.org (redirecting to emacs-devel perhaps) would
probably communicate most clearly.

Ted

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116379: Replace "Maintainer: FSF" with the emacs-devel mailing address
@ 2014-02-10 18:20       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-02-10 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> maintainer-wanted@gnu.org (redirecting to emacs-devel perhaps) would
> probably communicate most clearly.

Great, then we have to maintain an alias.

Why not just:

  Maintainer: Help Wanted <emacs-devel@gnu.org>

?

Replace "Help Wanted" with as much detail as you like, eg "Help Wanted -
if interested, contact: <emacs-devel@gnu.org>".

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116379: Replace "Maintainer: FSF" with the emacs-devel mailing address
@ 2014-02-10 19:08     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-02-10 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Not sure I agree, but I certainly would not object to adding something
> about a Maintainer being wanted in some cases (but not all). But then
> interested people should contact... emacs-devel.

For files included in Emacs, then I don't see a need to include extra
references to emacs-devel@gnu.org (just like we don't have such in the
C files).

For files in ELPA, emacs-devel@gnu.org isn't right either: the
maintainer address is where the commit-script sends a copy of the diff,
and I don't think we don't want to send those to emacs-devel@gnu.org.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116379: Replace "Maintainer: FSF" with the emacs-devel mailing address
@ 2014-02-10 19:23       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-02-10 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> For files included in Emacs, then I don't see a need to include extra
> references to emacs-devel@gnu.org (just like we don't have such in the
> C files).

Fine, let's bikeshed this to death.
"emacs-devel@gnu.org" is obviously (to me) better than "FSF".
If you've got something better than "emacs-devel", feel free.

> For files in ELPA, emacs-devel@gnu.org isn't right either: the
> maintainer address is where the commit-script sends a copy of the diff,
> and I don't think we don't want to send those to emacs-devel@gnu.org.

Then the commit script (which is currently broken anyway, according to
http://debbugs.gnu.org/16435) should special-case emacs-devel and ignore
it.

Ironically, the forward-diffs script itself, which I wrote and have
abandoned because of git, is the only thing in elpa that uses such a
Maintainer heading, so it's a non-problem AFAICS.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116379: Replace "Maintainer: FSF" with the emacs-devel mailing address
@ 2014-02-10 19:31         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-02-10 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:23:19 -0500
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Ironically, the forward-diffs script itself, which I wrote and have
> abandoned because of git, is the only thing in elpa that uses such a
> Maintainer heading, so it's a non-problem AFAICS.

There are no non-problems in bikeshedding.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116379: Replace "Maintainer: FSF" with the emacs-devel mailing address
@ 2014-02-10 23:13         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-02-10 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

I fine emacs-devel@gnu.org both informative and helpful.

--
 Bastien

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116379: Replace "Maintainer: FSF" with the emacs-devel mailing address
@ 2014-02-10 23:38           ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-02-10 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Bastien wrote:

> I fine emacs-devel@gnu.org both informative and helpful.

There's a sentence that's never been seen before. ;)

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116379: Replace "Maintainer: FSF" with the emacs-devel mailing address
@ 2014-02-11 19:04             ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-02-11 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris writes:
> Bastien wrote:
>
>> I fine emacs-devel@gnu.org both informative and helpful.
>
> There's a sentence that's never been seen before. ;)

Yeah, but how much should the fine be?  Like driving alone in the
commuter lane?

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116379: Replace "Maintainer: FSF" with the emacs-devel mailing address
@ 2014-02-11 19:11       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2014-02-11 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: emacs-devel

    maintainer-wanted@gnu.org (redirecting to emacs-devel perhaps) would
    probably communicate most clearly.

A blanket change of this sort would be mistaken.
There are some files for which we might wish to find a specific
maintainer.  But not all of them!

For most of them, all we want to say is "no specific maintainer".

While "FSF" is not perfectly clear, it gets the point across.
"Emacs developers" would be slightly more correct, but the change
would be a lot more trouble than it is worth.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation