all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* eval-after-load confusion
@ 2014-04-30  8:36 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-04-30  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have the following in a library that is required at startup:

;; (eval-after-load 'message
;;   (let ((ign-headers-list
;; 	 (split-string message-ignored-mail-headers
;; 		       "|"))
;; 	(our-val (concat gnorb-mail-header "\\")))
;;     (unless (member our-val ign-headers-list)
;;       (setq ign-headers-list
;; 	    `(,@(butlast ign-headers-list 1) ,our-val
;; 	      ,@(last ign-headers-list 1)))
;;       (setq message-ignored-mail-headers
;; 	    (mapconcat
;; 	     'identity ign-headers-list "|")))))

If I leave this block uncommented, I get a "void variable" error on
startup, referencing 'message-ignored-mail-headers.

I thought the whole point of `eval-after-load' was to avoid this: the
block should only be run *after* message.el is loaded, and
'message-ignored-mail-headers is defined. I've also tried with "message"
as a string, though that shouldn't matter.

Is it because it's referenced inside a `let' form? What am I not
understanding?!

emacs-version -> "24.3.1"

Thanks,
Eric