all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Warning (initialization): Your `load-path' seems to contain
@ 2014-06-17 18:14 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-06-17 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

For some time now I've been getting this -
Warning (initialization): Your `load-path' seems to contain
your `.emacs.d' directory: /home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/
This is likely to cause problems...
Consider using a subdirectory instead, e.g.: /home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/lisp
in my *Warnings* buffer.

These are the relevant lines from my "init.el"
(setq load-path (cons "/home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/lisp" load-path))
(add-to-list 'load-path "/home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/personal-lisp")

Why doesn't it accept what's in the "init.el" please, and what can I
do to put it right?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.91.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Warning (initialization): Your `load-path' seems to contain
@ 2014-06-18  4:42 ` Ruben Maher
From: Ruben Maher @ 2014-06-18  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> For some time now I've been getting this -
> Warning (initialization): Your `load-path' seems to contain
> your `.emacs.d' directory: /home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/
> This is likely to cause problems...
> Consider using a subdirectory instead, e.g.: /home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/lisp
> in my *Warnings* buffer.
>
> These are the relevant lines from my "init.el"
> (setq load-path (cons "/home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/lisp" load-path))
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/personal-lisp")
>
> Why doesn't it accept what's in the "init.el" please, and what can I
> do to put it right?

Hi Sharon,

Emacs is not rejecting init.el, it's just warning you.  If you don't
want to see the warning anymore you can drop this snippet in there:

(eval-after-load "warnings"
  ;; shut up, emacs!
  '(setq display-warning-minimum-level :error))

Kind regards,

Ruben

* Re: Warning (initialization): Your `load-path' seems to contain
@ 2014-06-18  5:17   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-06-18  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ruben Maher <eqyiel@gmail.com> writes:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> For some time now I've been getting this -
>> Warning (initialization): Your `load-path' seems to contain
>> your `.emacs.d' directory: /home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/
>> This is likely to cause problems...
>> Consider using a subdirectory instead, e.g.: /home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/lisp
>> in my *Warnings* buffer.
>>
>> These are the relevant lines from my "init.el"
>> (setq load-path (cons "/home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/lisp" load-path))
>> (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/personal-lisp")
>>
>> Why doesn't it accept what's in the "init.el" please, and what can I
>> do to put it right?
>
> Hi Sharon,
>
> Emacs is not rejecting init.el, it's just warning you.  If you don't
> want to see the warning anymore you can drop this snippet in there:
>
> (eval-after-load "warnings"
>   ;; shut up, emacs!
>   '(setq display-warning-minimum-level :error))
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Ruben

But the root cause still ought to be that, somewhere in your init,
you've got (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/boudiccas/.emacs.d"). Are you
sure you don't? I've been following emacs trunk, and a while ago got the
same warning.

I fixed it by removing ~/.emacs.d from my load path, putting
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/lisp") in my ~/.emacs.d/init.el
file, and then putting everything I wanted to require or load underneath
~/.emacs.d/lisp. No warnings anymore...

* Re: Warning (initialization): Your `load-path' seems to contain
@ 2014-06-18 10:58     ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-06-18 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Ruben Maher <eqyiel@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>>
>>> For some time now I've been getting this -
>>> Warning (initialization): Your `load-path' seems to contain
>>> your `.emacs.d' directory: /home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/
>>> This is likely to cause problems...
>>> Consider using a subdirectory instead, e.g.: /home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/lisp
>>> in my *Warnings* buffer.
>>>
>>> These are the relevant lines from my "init.el"
>>> (setq load-path (cons "/home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/lisp" load-path))
>>> (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/personal-lisp")
>>>
>>> Why doesn't it accept what's in the "init.el" please, and what can I
>>> do to put it right?
>>
>> Hi Sharon,
>>
>> Emacs is not rejecting init.el, it's just warning you.  If you don't
>> want to see the warning anymore you can drop this snippet in there:
>>
>> (eval-after-load "warnings"
>>   ;; shut up, emacs!
>>   '(setq display-warning-minimum-level :error))
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Ruben
>
> But the root cause still ought to be that, somewhere in your init,
> you've got (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/boudiccas/.emacs.d"). Are you
> sure you don't? I've been following emacs trunk, and a while ago got the
> same warning.
>
> I fixed it by removing ~/.emacs.d from my load path, putting
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/lisp") in my ~/.emacs.d/init.el
> file, and then putting everything I wanted to require or load underneath
> ~/.emacs.d/lisp. No warnings anymore...

Thanks for this Eric, this is what I ended up doing, although I was
very wary of destroying my hard-won set-up, and I did restore my
"init.el" from backup as it was so cobbled about that I couldn't see
what was loading and what wasn't! And I did have 2 instances of
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d") which were soon commented out!
That problem of "Warning (initialization)" has been bugging me for
months and I kept putting off dealing with it but it got embarrassing
when the task had been repeated for 84 days, and still not dealt
with! :)

But now its all pristine clean and working well, thanks folks :)

@ 2014-06-18 12:58       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-06-18 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

>> Ruben Maher <eqyiel@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Hi Sharon,
>>>
>>> Emacs is not rejecting init.el, it's just warning you.  If you don't
>>> want to see the warning anymore you can drop this snippet in there:
>>>
>>> (eval-after-load "warnings"
>>>   ;; shut up, emacs!
>>>   '(setq display-warning-minimum-level :error))
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Ruben
>>
>> But the root cause still ought to be that, somewhere in your init,
>> you've got (add-to-list 'load-path "/home/boudiccas/.emacs.d"). Are you
>> sure you don't? I've been following emacs trunk, and a while ago got the
>> same warning.
>>
>> I fixed it by removing ~/.emacs.d from my load path, putting
>> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/lisp") in my ~/.emacs.d/init.el
>> file, and then putting everything I wanted to require or load underneath
>> ~/.emacs.d/lisp. No warnings anymore...
>>
> Thanks for this Eric, this is what I ended up doing, although I was
> very wary of destroying my hard-won set-up, and I did restore my
> "init.el" from backup as it was so cobbled about that I couldn't see
> what was loading and what wasn't! And I did have 2 instances of
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d") which were soon commented out!
> That problem of "Warning (initialization)" has been bugging me for
> months and I kept putting off dealing with it but it got embarrassing
> when the task had been repeated for 84 days, and still not dealt
> with! :)

I like that about Org: it embarrasses you, but gently :)

I was also very wary of messing with my init-file setup, but I was
pleased with how easy it turned out to be. And the resulting arrangement
has the advantage of being easier to manage when you need to comment
things out, or track down the exact source of an error. Glad to hear
it's all working well!