() Paul Eggert () Tue, 18 Nov 2014 09:56:03 -0800 Glenn's objection (2) was that he sometimes wants more details in the commit log than in the ChangeLog. He's right, this is a downside, but my own feeling is that it's a minor one. We shouldn't be spending so much time on ChangeLog files that we worry about this sort of thing. Just write a decent entry and move on. If we settle on an "official commit log format" that sets aside an area for such details, then that area can be mechanically omitted when generating the ChangeLog file. I'm partial to: TITLE PARAGRAPH-1 PARAGRAPH-2 * FILE (FUNC): DESCRIPTION-OF-CHANGE. The PARAGRAPHs are easily distinguishable; the generated ChangeLog would be: YYYY-MM-DD AUTHOR TITLE * FILE (FUNC): DESCRIPTION-OF-CHANGE. (modulo some bol TABs), which is the current practice AFAICT. -- Thien-Thi Nguyen GPG key: 4C807502 (if you're human and you know it) read my lisp: (responsep (questions 'technical) (not (via 'mailing-list))) => nil