all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Background color in emacs on vncserver
@ 2014-12-06 15:12 Tomasz Gajewski
From: Tomasz Gajewski @ 2014-12-06 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'm often using emacs on remote vnc server I get different background
color under text and different in the rest of buffer even though I'm
setting them both to the same color. Effect is not annoying when using
vnc with full color but when using vncviewer with limited colors
(LowColourLevel=2) it can look really ugly, as can be seen on attached
image.

[-- Attachment #2: emacs_colors.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 2418 bytes --]

Do you know where is the source of problem? Different definition of
color used for background and background under text?

This is relevant part of my .emacs file.

(custom-set-variables
 ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(default-frame-alist (quote ((foreground-color . "Wheat") (background-color . "dark slate gray") (width . 204) (height . 58)))))
(custom-set-faces
 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 '(default ((t (:inherit nil :stipple nil :background "dark slate gray" :foreground "Wheat" :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil :overline nil :underline nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 101 :width normal :foundry "unknown" :family "Droid Sans Mono")))))

I use emacs from ubuntu:

GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7) of 2014-03-07 on lamiak, modified by Debian

--
Tomasz

* Re: Background color in emacs on vncserver
@ 2014-12-07 12:28 ` Tomasz Gajewski
From: Tomasz Gajewski @ 2014-12-07 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Tomasz Gajewski <tomga@wp.pl> writes:

> I'm often using emacs on remote vnc server I get different background
> color under text and different in the rest of buffer even though I'm
> setting them both to the same color. Effect is not annoying when using
> vnc with full color but when using vncviewer with limited colors
> (LowColourLevel=2) it can look really ugly, as can be seen on attached
> image.

Following to myself I've found out that issue disappears if I set depth
of vncserver to 24 bits (default is 16) no matter what vncviewer color
depth I use.

So probably a toolkit/library used to draw background under text and
other one used for drawing background outside of text differently map
color from outside of server palette to available color.

For me the problem is solved although behaviour with lower bit depth is
expected. Should I file a bug report about it?

--

@ 2014-12-07 12:33   ` Tomasz Gajewski
From: Tomasz Gajewski @ 2014-12-07 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Tomasz Gajewski <tomga@wp.pl> writes:

> For me the problem is solved although behaviour with lower bit depth is
> expected. Should I file a bug report about it?

s/expected/unexpected

--
Tomasz