all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is this use of nreverse a good practice?
@ 2015-02-01 12:08 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-02-01 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

I'm writing a small function which should build a list and return it.
What I'm doing is more or less this:

(defun myfunc ()
  (let ((list-var))
    (while CONDITION
      (DO-SOMETHING)
      (push SOME-ELEMENT list-var))
    (nreverse list-var)))

A more concrete example:

(defun reverse-range (n)
  (let ((list-var))
    (while (> n 0)
      (push n list-var)
      (decf n))
    (nreverse list-var)))

(reverse-range 5)

⇒ (5 4 3 2 1)

Is this usage of `nreverse' correct?  I guess it is, since list-var is
only a temporary variable and destructing it doesn't bother me.
However, I'm never sure I'm doing things right when using
nconc/nreverse, so I though I'd better ask...

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Is this use of nreverse a good practice?
       [not found] <mailman.19096.1422792521.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-02-01 13:02 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2015-02-01 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm writing a small function which should build a list and return it.
> What I'm doing is more or less this:
>
> (defun myfunc ()
>   (let ((list-var))
>     (while CONDITION
>       (DO-SOMETHING)
>       (push SOME-ELEMENT list-var))
>     (nreverse list-var)))
>
> A more concrete example:
>
> (defun reverse-range (n)
>   (let ((list-var))
>     (while (> n 0)
>       (push n list-var)
>       (decf n))
>     (nreverse list-var)))
>
> (reverse-range 5)
>
> ⇒ (5 4 3 2 1)
>
> Is this usage of `nreverse' correct?  I guess it is, since list-var is
> only a temporary variable and destructing it doesn't bother me.
> However, I'm never sure I'm doing things right when using
> nconc/nreverse, so I though I'd better ask...

Yes, this is THE use case for nreverse.