all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Searching for space fails
@ 2015-08-25  8:34 Loris Bennett
       [not found] ` <mailman.84.1440522360.28410.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Loris Bennett @ 2015-08-25  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Today I found that I was unable to search for spaces with isearch.  It
turns out that 'search-whitespace-regexp' was set to 'nil' rather than
the default '\s-+'.

As I am pretty sure I didn't customise the variable myself, does anyone
know how it might have been changed?

Cheers,

Loris

* Re: Searching for space fails
@ 2015-08-25 17:05 ` J. David Boyd
       [not found] ` <mailman.84.1440522360.28410.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: J. David Boyd @ 2015-08-25 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Today I found that I was unable to search for spaces with isearch.  It
> turns out that 'search-whitespace-regexp' was set to 'nil' rather than
> the default '\s-+'.
>
> As I am pretty sure I didn't customise the variable myself, does anyone
> know how it might have been changed?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Loris

Stray cosmic radiation.

Dave

@ 2015-08-25 20:18   ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2015-08-25 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 10:36:03 PM UTC+5:30, J. David Boyd wrote:
> "Loris Bennett"  writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Today I found that I was unable to search for spaces with isearch.  It
> > turns out that 'search-whitespace-regexp' was set to 'nil' rather than
> > the default '\s-+'.
> >
> > As I am pretty sure I didn't customise the variable myself, does anyone
> > know how it might have been changed?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Loris
>
> Stray cosmic radiation.
>
> Dave

:-)

If it works as before with emacs -Q then the cosmos has shrunk a bit...
to your init which you can proceed to debug that.

* Re: Searching for space fails
@ 2015-08-25 20:42     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-08-25 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> If it works as before with emacs -Q then the cosmos
> has shrunk a bit... to your init which you can
> proceed to debug that.

It is very common that strange things appear in
configuration and source files. I have been struck by
paranoia so many times believing my systems hacked as
I would "never do that", so now I know it to happen
now and then. Probably you are just too tired doing
things sometimes and later you don't remember why you
did it and even that you did it, but I still think it
was you.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573