all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* no package.el emacs 24.5.1
@ 2015-10-07 17:46 Sanjeev Sariya
From: Sanjeev Sariya @ 2015-10-07 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Emacs community,

I'm new to emacs. I'm trying to add couple of bells and whistles to it.
I upgraded it's version to 24.5.1 Mac OSX

When I type emacs on terminal I get:

;; This buffer is for notes you don't want to save, and for Lisp evaluation.
;; If you want to create a file, visit that file with C-x C-f,
;; then enter the text in that file's own buffer.

There's no package.el present in

~/.emacs.d/

Without this nothing would load, and no M-x would work.

Please help.

* Re: no package.el emacs 24.5.1
@ 2015-10-07 19:36 ` John Mastro
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John Mastro @ 2015-10-07 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sanjeev Sariya; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Sanjeev Sariya <sanjeevsariya@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Emacs community,
>
> I'm new to emacs. I'm trying to add couple of bells and whistles to it.
> I upgraded it's version to 24.5.1 Mac OSX

Welcome!

> When I type emacs on terminal I get:
>
> ;; This buffer is for notes you don't want to save, and for Lisp evaluation.
> ;; If you want to create a file, visit that file with C-x C-f,
> ;; then enter the text in that file's own buffer.

This is expected - it's the *scratch* buffer. If you instead invoke
Emacs as `emacs /path/to/file' it will start you in a buffer showing
that file's contents. Or, as the note above says, you can use `C-x C-f'
(control-x followed by control-f) to open a file from within Emacs.

> There's no package.el present in
>
> ~/.emacs.d/

This too is expected - package.el is installed along with Emacs's other
Lisp source files, not in your ~/.emacs.d/

> Without this nothing would load, and no M-x would work.

Can you be more specific regarding "nothing would load"? What did you
try and what errors did you receive?

One thing you should probably do is to add this form at the top of your
~/.emacs.d/init.el file:

(package-initialize)

M-x not working might be related to your terminal rather than Emacs
itself. For instance, on OS X I believe you use the "option" key for
meta (rather than command, as I personally prefer and originally
expected).

How did you install Emacs? You might find it more comfortable to use
Emacs in its GUI mode rather than at the terminal.

--
john

* Re: no package.el emacs 24.5.1
@ 2015-10-07 20:10 ` Nicolas Richard
       [not found] ` <mailman.83.1444248617.916.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.82.1444246633.916.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2015-10-07 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sanjeev Sariya; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sanjeev Sariya <sanjeevsariya@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Emacs community,
>
> I'm new to emacs. I'm trying to add couple of bells and whistles to it.
> I upgraded it's version to 24.5.1 Mac OSX
>
> When I type emacs on terminal I get:
>
> ;; This buffer is for notes you don't want to save, and for Lisp
> evaluation.
> ;; If you want to create a file, visit that file with C-x C-f,
> ;; then enter the text in that file's own buffer.

That looks good. Please try C-h t (i.e. press control key, press h,
release both, press t) for an emacs tutorial.

> There's no package.el present in
>
> ~/.emacs.d/

No file package.el is supposed  to be in that directory, so that's fine.

> Without this nothing would load, and no M-x would work.

Please be more specific: what did  you try to load, how does loading
fail and what does M-x actually do ? Any error message ?

--
Nico

* Re: no package.el emacs 24.5.1
       [not found] ` <mailman.83.1444248617.916.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-10-11 20:40   ` Sanjeev Sariya
From: Sanjeev Sariya @ 2015-10-11 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Nico,
Thanks for your reply.

I've been able to get emacs working.
Thanks for your attention to my post.

Best,
Sanjeev
---
On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 16:10:20 UTC-4, Nicolas Richard  wrote:
> Sanjeev Sariya <sanjeevsariya@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi Emacs community,
> >
> > I'm new to emacs. I'm trying to add couple of bells and whistles to it.
> > I upgraded it's version to 24.5.1 Mac OSX
> >
> > When I type emacs on terminal I get:
> >
> > ;; This buffer is for notes you don't want to save, and for Lisp
> > evaluation.
> > ;; If you want to create a file, visit that file with C-x C-f,
> > ;; then enter the text in that file's own buffer.
>
> That looks good. Please try C-h t (i.e. press control key, press h,
> release both, press t) for an emacs tutorial.
>
> > There's no package.el present in
> >
> > ~/.emacs.d/
>
> No file package.el is supposed  to be in that directory, so that's fine.
>
> > Without this nothing would load, and no M-x would work.
>
> Please be more specific: what did  you try to load, how does loading
> fail and what does M-x actually do ? Any error message ?
>
> --
> Nico

* Re: no package.el emacs 24.5.1
       [not found] ` <mailman.82.1444246633.916.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-10-11 20:41   ` Sanjeev Sariya
       [not found]     ` <mailman.102.1444598432.7904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sanjeev Sariya @ 2015-10-11 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply, and warm welcome. :)

I've been able to get emacs working. I'm running into more hiccups, will create separate threads for them.

On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 15:37:16 UTC-4, John Mastro  wrote:
> Sanjeev Sariya <sanjeevsariya@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Emacs community,
> >
> > I'm new to emacs. I'm trying to add couple of bells and whistles to it.
> > I upgraded it's version to 24.5.1 Mac OSX
>
> Welcome!
>
> > When I type emacs on terminal I get:
> >
> > ;; This buffer is for notes you don't want to save, and for Lisp evaluation.
> > ;; If you want to create a file, visit that file with C-x C-f,
> > ;; then enter the text in that file's own buffer.
>
> This is expected - it's the *scratch* buffer. If you instead invoke
> Emacs as `emacs /path/to/file' it will start you in a buffer showing
> that file's contents. Or, as the note above says, you can use `C-x C-f'
> (control-x followed by control-f) to open a file from within Emacs.
>
> > There's no package.el present in
> >
> > ~/.emacs.d/
>
> This too is expected - package.el is installed along with Emacs's other
> Lisp source files, not in your ~/.emacs.d/
>
> > Without this nothing would load, and no M-x would work.
>
> Can you be more specific regarding "nothing would load"? What did you
> try and what errors did you receive?
>
> One thing you should probably do is to add this form at the top of your
> ~/.emacs.d/init.el file:
>
> (package-initialize)
>
> M-x not working might be related to your terminal rather than Emacs
> itself. For instance, on OS X I believe you use the "option" key for
> meta (rather than command, as I personally prefer and originally
> expected).
>
> How did you install Emacs? You might find it more comfortable to use
> Emacs in its GUI mode rather than at the terminal.
>
> --
> john

* Re: no package.el emacs 24.5.1 -- Classic Meta test
@ 2015-10-11 21:20     ` Francis Belliveau
       [not found]     ` <mailman.102.1444598432.7904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Francis Belliveau @ 2015-10-11 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I would like to clarify something that Sanjeev alludes to:
  When worrying about the reason for M-x, or any other Meta key, is not functioning one should consider the fact that there is not always a Meta key available.
Command versus option do not make it through all interfaces.

Always try using the Escape key in place of meta, since that usually gets through, and if that works then you know the problem is with the interface, not the emacs installation.

Fran

@ 2015-10-12 13:10       ` Sanjeev Sariya
From: Sanjeev Sariya @ 2015-10-12 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Fran,

Thanks for your reply.
Yep, I'm not used to Mac much, it has Escape as Meta key.

All M-x
are then performed using Esc-X :)

Best,
Sanjeev