all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to replace format-like codes in a string?
@ 2016-11-11  8:25 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-11-11  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw

Hi list,

I want to write a function like `format', which gets a string with some
codes embedded (like "%a", "%b" etc., and "%%" to get a percentage
sign), and convert them to something (say, "%a" to the value of var-a,
"%b" to var-b etc.).  Is there any facility in Elisp to help with that
or do I have to do a search-and-replace manually?

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski

* Re: How to replace format-like codes in a string?
@ 2016-11-11  8:48 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-11-11  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw

On Fri, Nov 11 2016, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> I want to write a function like `format', which gets a string
> with some
> codes embedded (like "%a", "%b" etc., and "%%" to get a
> percentage
> sign), and convert them to something (say, "%a" to the value of
> var-a,
> "%b" to var-b etc.).  Is there any facility in Elisp to help
> with that
> or do I have to do a search-and-replace manually?

See `format-spec' and `format-spec-make'.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: How to replace format-like codes in a string?
@ 2016-11-11 12:19   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-11-11 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw

On 2016-11-11, at 09:48, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 11 2016, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>> I want to write a function like `format', which gets a string
>> with some
>> codes embedded (like "%a", "%b" etc., and "%%" to get a
>> percentage
>> sign), and convert them to something (say, "%a" to the value of
>> var-a,
>> "%b" to var-b etc.).  Is there any facility in Elisp to help
>> with that
>> or do I have to do a search-and-replace manually?
>
> See `format-spec' and `format-spec-make'.

Thanks a lot!  That was exactly what I needed.  (I mean, `format-spec';
I'm not sure why I would need `format-spec-make', assuming that I can
just use backquote and comma.)

Best,

--

@ 2016-11-13 10:29     ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2016-11-13 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw

On Fri, Nov 11 2016, Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>> See `format-spec' and `format-spec-make'.
>
> Thanks a lot!  That was exactly what I needed.  (I mean,
> `format-spec';
> I'm not sure why I would need `format-spec-make', assuming that
> I can
> just use backquote and comma.)

Yes, I wondered the same thing. But I thought I'd mention it
anyway. :-)

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments