all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* customized buffer list
@ 2017-03-28 21:36 Kevin Buchs
From: Kevin Buchs @ 2017-03-28 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Today I got inspired to make Emacs work better for me. The buffer list (C-x
C-b) has abbreviated buffer names. Also the size and mode columns I rarely
use. I began to look for an option to customize the buffer list or an
alternative to it. I started to look at the code for buffer-list() and I
got scared. It is twisted and it uses function names beginning with an
uppercase letter! Couldn't find any customization. I found the well-hidden
ibuffer, but that didn't give me what I was seeking. I found Buffer Menu
Plus (https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BufferMenuPlus) and that allows
hiding the mode. Anyone have recommendations for any other solutions?

Thanks

* RE: customized buffer list
@ 2017-03-28 21:52 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2017-03-28 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Kevin Buchs, help-gnu-emacs

> Today I got inspired to make Emacs work better for me. The buffer list
> (C-x C-b) has abbreviated buffer names. Also the size and mode columns
> I rarely use.
> I began to look for an option to customize the buffer list or an
> alternative to it. I started to look at the code for buffer-list() and I
> got scared. It is twisted and it uses function names beginning with an
> uppercase letter! Couldn't find any customization. I found the well-hidden
> ibuffer, but that didn't give me what I was seeking. I found Buffer Menu
> Plus (https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BufferMenuPlus) and that allows
> hiding the mode. Anyone have recommendations for any other solutions?

Buffer-Menu+ lets you customize the buffer-menu display in
many ways, including wrt the size and mode fields.

Unfortunately, it requires the Emacs 23 (or earlier) version
of vanilla buff-menu.el - it does not work with 24.2 or
later.  Starting with Emacs 24.2, Emacs based buff-menu.el
on `tabulated-list-mode', which is more restricted.

I have not bothered to update buff-menu+.el to fit with
the newer versions of buff-menu.el.  I kinda doubt that
I will ever bother to do that.  (Maybe I should just
incorporate the vanilla Emacs 23 buff-menu.el code into
buff-menu+.el.)

You can probably find the Emacs 23 version of buff-menu.el.
If not, ibuffer might give you some of what you want.
(Ibuffer has many other features that buff-menu+.el does
not have.  And buff-menu+.el has features that ibuffer
does not have.)

* Re: customized buffer list
@ 2017-03-29  1:52 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2017-03-29  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Kevin Buchs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Buchs <kevin.buchs@gmail.com> writes:

> Today I got inspired to make Emacs work better for me. The buffer list
> (C-x C-b) has abbreviated buffer names. Also the size and mode columns
> I rarely use. I began to look for an option to customize the buffer
> list or an alternative to it. I started to look at the code for
> buffer-list() and I got scared. It is twisted and it uses function
> names beginning with an uppercase letter!

;-)

> Couldn't find any customization. I found the well-hidden ibuffer, but
> that didn't give me what I was seeking.

I think you might like it.  You can switch between several different
totally configurable layouts with the ` key.  Two formats are
preconfigured, the second is simpler and comes with no ellipses.

There is a lot to customize (see M-x customize-group ibuffer RET), in
particular, the option to change the formats is `ibuffer-formats'.

Regards,

Michael.

* Re: customized buffer list
@ 2017-03-30 18:26 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2017-03-30 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Buchs wrote:

> Today I got inspired to make Emacs work better
> for me.

Good for you!

Programming Emacs made me the
bike-mechanic-really-(broke)-programmer