all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Show *compilation* only if build did not succeed
@ 2018-12-22 15:12 Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2018-12-22 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I use a literate init.org configuration for my GNU Emacs, which I
automatically tangle into init.el on each save and then call ‘make’
using something like (compile "make ti").

Here’s my problem: invoking compile creates a new window, and that
annoys me to no end, esp. since I save my init.org frequently while
editing.  So I’ve wrapped the call to compile in a call to
save-window-excursion which causes compile to not create a window.  But
ideally the window would be created if compilation did not succeed.

Recently I found the following snippet¹ on Stack Overflow:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun brian-compile-finish (buffer outstr)
  (unless (string-match "finished" outstr)
    (switch-to-buffer-other-window buffer))
  t)

(setq compilation-finish-functions 'brian-compile-finish)

(require 'cl)

(defadvice compilation-start
  (around inhibit-display
      (command &optional mode name-function highlight-regexp))
  (if (not (string-match "^\\(find\\|grep\\)" command))
      (flet ((display-buffer)
         (set-window-point)
         (goto-char))
    (fset 'display-buffer 'ignore)
    (fset 'goto-char 'ignore)
    (fset 'set-window-point 'ignore)
    (save-window-excursion
      ad-do-it))
    ad-do-it))

(ad-activate 'compilation-start)
#+end_src

But the problem with the above is that, if you look at the defadvice, it
uses flet, which has been obsolete since 24.3, and so I get an annoying
warning on every startup (I byte-compile my init.el).

Are there any “modern” solutions for achieving this?  If not, it would
be great if one could customize the behaviour of when compile would
create a window, depending on the build result or if the build takes
longer than a certain time threshold.

Thanks,
amin

Footnotes:
¹  https://stackoverflow.com/a/17788551

* Re: Show *compilation* only if build did not succeed
@ 2018-12-22 16:49 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-12-22 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> But the problem with the above is that, if you look at the defadvice, it
> uses flet, which has been obsolete since 24.3, and so I get an annoying
> warning on every startup (I byte-compile my init.el).
> Are there any “modern” solutions for achieving this?

Yes: the two replacements suggested by the warning.

* Re: Show *compilation* only if build did not succeed
@ 2018-12-22 17:52   ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2018-12-22 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2018-12-22 11:49 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Yes: the two replacements suggested by the warning.

Thanks for the reply, Stefan.  I had already tried both, but for some
reason I could not get it to work.  I gave it another shot, and it seems
like I got it right this time around.

For future reference, here’s what I ended up with in my config:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun amin--compilation-finish-function (buffer outstr)
  (unless (string-match "finished" outstr)
    (switch-to-buffer-other-window buffer))
  t)

(setq compilation-finish-functions #'amin--compilation-finish-function)

(require 'cl-macs)

(defadvice compilation-start
    (around inhibit-display
            (command &optional mode name-function highlight-regexp))
  (if (not (string-match "^\\(find\\|grep\\)" command))
      (cl-letf (((symbol-function 'display-buffer)   #'ignore)
                ((symbol-function 'set-window-point) #'ignore)
                ((symbol-function 'goto-char)        #'ignore))
        (save-window-excursion ad-do-it))
    ad-do-it))

(ad-activate 'compilation-start)
#+end_src

Best,
amin

* Re: Show *compilation* only if build did not succeed
@ 2018-12-22 18:21     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-12-22 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amin Bandali; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> (defadvice compilation-start
>     (around inhibit-display
>             (command &optional mode name-function highlight-regexp))
>   (if (not (string-match "^\\(find\\|grep\\)" command))
>       (cl-letf (((symbol-function 'display-buffer)   #'ignore)
>                 ((symbol-function 'set-window-point) #'ignore)
>                 ((symbol-function 'goto-char)        #'ignore))
>         (save-window-excursion ad-do-it))
>     ad-do-it))

BTW, is the `goto-char` override really effective?
It doesn't affect calls to goto-char made from byte-compiled code, so
there's a good chance that it ends up not doing anything.

* Re: Show *compilation* only if build did not succeed
@ 2018-12-22 19:09       ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2018-12-22 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2018-12-22  1:21 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> BTW, is the `goto-char` override really effective?
> It doesn't affect calls to goto-char made from byte-compiled code, so
> there's a good chance that it ends up not doing anything.

Ha, I think you’re right :)  Taking out goto-char and set-window-point
don’t seem to have any effects, that I could tell at least.

Out of curiosity, is there any way to silence the “ad-handle-definition:
‘compilation-start’ got redefined” warning locally?  I tried wrapping my
workaround in a (let ((ad-redefinition-action 'accept)) ...), but that
doesn’t seem to do it.

* Re: Show *compilation* only if build did not succeed
@ 2018-12-23 14:29         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-12-23 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amin Bandali; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Out of curiosity, is there any way to silence the “ad-handle-definition:
> ‘compilation-start’ got redefined” warning locally?  I tried wrapping my
> workaround in a (let ((ad-redefinition-action 'accept)) ...), but that
> doesn’t seem to do it.

ad-redefinition-action is consulted when compilation-start is defined
(i.e. when loading compile.el), that's why your let has no effect.

If you use the newer `advice-add` instead of the older `defadvice` you
shouldn't get any warning (it's one of the "features" I didn't bother
to port).

But you can also just do

    (setq ad-redefinition-action 'accept)

* Re: Show *compilation* only if build did not succeed
@ 2018-12-23 14:59           ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2018-12-23 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Stefan,

On 2018-12-23  9:29 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Out of curiosity, is there any way to silence the “ad-handle-definition:
>> ‘compilation-start’ got redefined” warning locally?  I tried wrapping my
>> workaround in a (let ((ad-redefinition-action 'accept)) ...), but that
>> doesn’t seem to do it.
>
> ad-redefinition-action is consulted when compilation-start is defined
> (i.e. when loading compile.el), that's why your let has no effect.
>
> If you use the newer `advice-add` instead of the older `defadvice` you
> shouldn't get any warning (it's one of the "features" I didn't bother
> to port).

That makes sense, thanks.  And TIL about advice-add!  On a side note, it
seems wrapping the workaround in a (with-eval-after-load 'compile ...)
also suppresses the warning, without needing ad-redefinition-action set.

> But you can also just do
>
>     (setq ad-redefinition-action 'accept)

Indeed.  My reasoning was to try and minimize its effect in my init file
so that I would still be able to see the warning if triggered elsewhere.

>         Stefan

Best,
amin