all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Wrong times for sunrise/sunset?
@ 2019-01-19 19:17 Pierpaolo Bernardi
From: Pierpaolo Bernardi @ 2019-01-19 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski, help-gnu-emacs@gnu org

Il giorno 19 gennaio 2019, alle ore 16:27, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> ha scritto:

>Hello,
>C-u M-x sunrise-sunset (and today's date) says

>I also noticed that other online services give yet other results.
>Anybody knows why the difference(s)?

See https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2016-07/msg00321.html

Hth

* Re: Wrong times for sunrise/sunset?
@ 2019-01-26  2:02 Van L
From: Van L @ 2019-01-26  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (I understand that I know very little abot time calculations and such,
> and I understand they are difficult. I'd just like to know.)

Metwo.

Can those calculations tell the diameter of the Sun? without; observation.

     In his astronomical writings, Proclus described how the
     water clock invented by Heron could be used to measure the
     apparent diameter of the Sun. Proclus's method can be used
     at the equinox. Water is collected from the clock in a
     container while the sun rises. As soon as the Sun has risen
     the water is collected in another container and this
     measurement continues until sunrise the following day. Then
     the ratio of the weights of water in the two containers
     gives the apparent diameter of the Sun. [1]

Footnotes
─────────

[1] The link is:
<http://www-history.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/Biographies/Proclus.html>

* Wrong times for sunrise/sunset?
@ 2019-01-19 15:25 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2019-01-19 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

C-u M-x sunrise-sunset (and today's date) says:

Sat, Jan 19, 2019: Sunrise 7:54am (CET), sunset 4:13pm (CET) at Poznań,
Poland (8:19 hrs daylight)

Here are my settings:

(setq calendar-latitude 52.4)
(setq calendar-longitude 16.917)
(setq calendar-location-name "Poznań, Poland")

(BTW, if anyone is ever near here, please drop me a line - we might be
able to meet in person;-)).

And C-u M-: calendar-time-zone says (correctly) 60.

However, https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/poland/poznan (for today)
says:

Sunrise Today: 07:51↑ 124° Southeast
Sunset Today: 16:14↑ 237° Southwest

I also noticed that other online services give yet other results.

Anybody knows why the difference(s)?

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski