all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* nnimap-split-methods ?
@ 2020-08-29  3:43 David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2020-08-29  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've begun setting Gnus to read my mail on outlook.com.  I've my outlook
email to a couple of mailing lists.  I've got my beginning setup working
in that it select outlook via nnimap, pulls down the email, expunges the
email from outlook, and presents me with the Groups list of email. I'm
now trying to add nnimap-split-methods to split the mailing lists out
into separate folders:

(setq nnimap-split-methods
      '(
	("mail.orgmode" "^\(To:\|Cc:\).*emacs-orgmode@gnu.org")
	("mail.emacs" "^\(To:\|Cc:\).*help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org")
	("mail.misc" "")
	)
      )

What happens, though, is all the mail winds up in mail.misc.

Can anyone tell me why?

--
David Masterson

* Re: nnimap-split-methods ?
@ 2020-08-29  5:04 ` Jamie Beardslee
From: Jamie Beardslee @ 2020-08-29  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:
> (setq nnimap-split-methods
>       '(
> 	("mail.orgmode" "^\(To:\|Cc:\).*emacs-orgmode@gnu.org")
> 	("mail.emacs" "^\(To:\|Cc:\).*help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org")
> 	("mail.misc" "")
> 	)
>       )

The backslashes are being swallowed by Elisp's string syntax.  i.e. "\("
means the same thing as "(", you need to escape the backslash "\\(".

Try this:

@ 2020-08-31  2:08   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2020-08-31  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamie Beardslee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jamie Beardslee <jdb@jamzattack.xyz> writes:

> David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:
>> (setq nnimap-split-methods
>>       '(
>> 	("mail.orgmode" "^\(To:\|Cc:\).*emacs-orgmode@gnu.org")
>> 	("mail.emacs" "^\(To:\|Cc:\).*help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org")
>> 	("mail.misc" "")
>> 	)
>>       )
>
> The backslashes are being swallowed by Elisp's string syntax.  i.e. "\("
> means the same thing as "(", you need to escape the backslash "\\(".
>
> Try this:
>
> (setq nnimap-split-methods
>       '(("mail.orgmode" "^\\(To:\\|Cc:\\).*emacs-orgmode@gnu.org")
>  	("mail.emacs" "^\\(To:\\|Cc:\\).*help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org")
>  	("mail.misc" "")))

Ah!  That makes sense.  Thanks

--
David Masterson

* Re: nnimap-split-methods ?
@ 2020-08-31 23:12   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2020-08-31 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamie Beardslee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jamie Beardslee <jdb@jamzattack.xyz> writes:

> Try this:
>
> (setq nnimap-split-methods
>       '(("mail.orgmode" "^\\(To:\\|Cc:\\).*emacs-orgmode@gnu.org")
>  	("mail.emacs" "^\\(To:\\|Cc:\\).*help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org")
>  	("mail.misc" "")))

Another question - how do you create these groups?  I seem to have
gotten mail.misc and mail.orgmode created, but I don't know how, so I'm
hesitating on how to create mail.emacs

What's the steps?

--
David Masterson

* Re: nnimap-split-methods ?
@ 2020-08-31 23:22     ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2020-08-31 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamie Beardslee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> writes:

> Jamie Beardslee <jdb@jamzattack.xyz> writes:
>
>> Try this:
>>
>> (setq nnimap-split-methods
>>       '(("mail.orgmode" "^\\(To:\\|Cc:\\).*emacs-orgmode@gnu.org")
>>  	("mail.emacs" "^\\(To:\\|Cc:\\).*help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org")
>>  	("mail.misc" "")))
>
> Another question - how do you create these groups?  I seem to have
> gotten mail.misc and mail.orgmode created, but I don't know how, so I'm
> hesitating on how to create mail.emacs
>
> What's the steps?

Nevermind -- I guess a foreign group will work.

--
David Masterson