all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Swap Tab and Escape in all modes including evil
@ 2021-02-13 20:40 Igor
From: Igor @ 2021-02-13 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello.

'Escape' is too far away on modern keyboards and 'Tab' could be easily
typed as 'Ctrl+i' in terminal applications and Emacs. So I found it
convenient to swap them in terminal key bindings and would like to have
them swapped also in Emacs but not in other GUI applications(so xmodmap
or xcape is not an option). Is it possible? Or at least is it possible
to make 'Tab' act as 'Escape'?

I've tried

|`(define-key input-decode-map [tab] [?\e])`|

But this doesn't trigger insert-to-normal transition in evil mode: I am
pressing 'Tab', I am seeing `|ESC ESC ESC`| in bottom bar, but evil
state remains |<I>|.||

* Re: Swap Tab and Escape in all modes including evil
@ 2021-02-13 22:36 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-02-13 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Igor wrote:

> I've tried
>
> (define-key input-decode-map [tab] [?\e])

(define-key input-decode-map [?\t] [?\e])

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573