Even in *scratch*, where font-locking overrode those, I think? The issue still remains -- if you do this in emacs -nw: (format "%c5" 128) "€5" And cut and paste that do a different Emacs, you get the string "\x805" => "ࠅ" But... we've had this format for half a decade now, and this doesn't really seem to be a problem in practice, so while the format is somewhat ambiguous, I tend to think that introducing a new syntax just to fix it isn't worth it. Especially a syntax like \x{80}, which was one of the suggestions -- the idea, after all, is to make display prettier and more readable. Any further opinions? -- (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.) bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no