Eli Zaretskii writes: >> From: Stefan Monnier >> Cc: Po Lu , akib@disroot.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org, >> ibluefocus@outlook.com >> Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 21:55:16 -0400 >> >> >> Someone might want a popup implemented as a child frame to extend past >> >> the bounds of the parent, for example. >> > Why would they want that? >> >> I can imagine a situation where a tty frame is split into two windows >> and some company/corfu-style completion wants to popup a child-frame to >> show completion candidates (basically like a menu), and if the >> completion is near the split between the two windows, it would be >> natural for that child-frame to extend into the other window if that can >> make its contents more readable. It would even feel odd if that >> child-window were restricted to fit within its "parent" window. > > Such popups must be limited in their height anyway, so I see no > problem in limiting them to their parent frame. > > (I also don't think child frames are the right basis for implementing > such popups: they will look ugly. Emacs frames are not suited for > emulating GUI dialog widgets.) What? Completion popup is a misuse of child frame? Then what its supposed to do? > >> BTW We currently see "the same" with your menubar code in ttys, where the >> menus aren't restricted to live within one of the existing windows >> either, instead they're overlayed above the windows without regards for >> the existing window splits. > > But they never cross the frame's border, which is what this discussion > is about. More importantly, I very much doubt that we'd want the > child frames on TTYs to have the same limitations as TTY menus must > abide by. -- Akib Azmain Turja This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key. It's fingerprint is: 7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6 66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5