all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Edit Wikipedia Article directly in Emacs?
@ 2023-06-28 13:53 Jonas Damm
From: Jonas Damm @ 2023-06-28 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Can Emacs (With Org-Mode) edit wikipedia articles directly? I created an
account on wikipedia and want to write a new article. I prefer to write
in Org-Mode.

Thanks!

* Re: Edit Wikipedia Article directly in Emacs?
@ 2023-06-28 14:26 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2023-06-28 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Damm; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jonas Damm <mailing@jonas-damm.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Can Emacs (With Org-Mode) edit wikipedia articles directly?

As in technically possible?  Yes.  As in there is a package that already
lets you do this?  I don't know, there doesn't appear to be anything
like that on ELPA.

>                                                             I created an
> account on wikipedia and want to write a new article. I prefer to write
> in Org-Mode.

I am not sure how good of an idea this is, to my recollection Wikipedia
markup is fairly specific and it is not easy to map between different
markup formats without loosing too much information.

@ 2023-06-28 16:43   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-06-28 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Philip Kaludercic wrote:

>> Can Emacs (With Org-Mode) edit wikipedia articles directly?
>
> As in technically possible? Yes. As in there is a package
> that already lets you do this? I don't know, there doesn't
> appear to be anything like that on ELPA.

I am also not aware of anyone doing that. Is anyone?

>> I created an account on wikipedia and want to write a new
>> article. I prefer to write in Org-Mode.
>
> I am not sure how good of an idea this is, to my
> recollection Wikipedia markup is fairly specific and it is
> not easy to map between different markup formats without
> loosing too much information.

This part is not so difficult, mapping is not so difficult and
if anyone ever got it to work, one would build from that and
ultimately end up with a little module so one could eventually
write directly with Wikipedia's own syntax with no mapping to
it actually, while enjoying both general Emacs editing
features and specific ones just for wikis.

No, rather, what is difficult is, what technology is employed
to do this interactively from a browser to begin with? If it
is JavaScript, then that rules out Emacs-w3m since there is no
support for JavaScript (to my knowledge anyway). If there is
something else, be it Ajax maybe, or something else? And do we
have it?

If Wikipedia comes with an API with which we can communicate
with a remote protocol, then one should focus on that and try
to do just a "from Emacs with love" example page, because
that's the difficult part, after that it is just fun and games
adding one feature after another, and I think several people
would dive into that.

A starting point is perhaps: How does the Emacs wiki
handle it? Yeah, if that can't be edited from Emacs, it's bad.
Reaaaly bad!

Do please report back anything you find out in this matter ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Edit Wikipedia Article directly in Emacs?
@ 2023-06-30  4:48   ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2023-06-30  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: Jonas Damm, help-gnu-emacs

* Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> [2023-06-28 17:28]:
> I am not sure how good of an idea this is, to my recollection Wikipedia
> markup is fairly specific and it is not easy to map between different
> markup formats without loosing too much information.

Just to mention that command line:

pandoc -f org -t mediawiki MYFILE.org

is to convert Org to Mediawiki format.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Edit Wikipedia Article directly in Emacs?
@ 2023-06-30  8:26     ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2023-06-30  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic, Jonas Damm, help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 at 11:57, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> [2023-06-28 17:28]:
> > I am not sure how good of an idea this is, to my recollection Wikipedia
> > markup is fairly specific and it is not easy to map between different
> > markup formats without loosing too much information.
>
> Just to mention that command line:
>
> pandoc -f org -t mediawiki MYFILE.org
>
> is to convert Org to Mediawiki format.

The specifics of Mediawiki is that you can have templates that
effectively extend the markup language, and this is widely used in
Wikipedia and its sister wikis. A quick experiment shows that Pandoc
silently drops most template inclusions. So if you take the source of
a wiki page, convert it to Org with pandoc, edit it in Org, then
convert back to mediawiki format and save, you will annoy moderators,
who will then be tempted to just revert your change without spending
time to pick out useful parts from overall formatting destruction.

* Re: Edit Wikipedia Article directly in Emacs?
@ 2023-06-30  9:24       ` Jonas Damm
From: Jonas Damm @ 2023-06-30  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: Philip Kaludercic, help-gnu-emacs

Thanks,

I understand, that this is not a good idea.
Too bad, but at least I will draft it in org first.

Jonas

@ 2023-06-30 10:53 ` Yuchen Pei
From: Yuchen Pei @ 2023-06-30 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Damm; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed 2023-06-28 15:53:06 +0200, Jonas Damm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can Emacs (With Org-Mode) edit wikipedia articles directly? I created an
> account on wikipedia and want to write a new article. I prefer to write
> in Org-Mode.

If you can give up the requirement to write in org-mode, there's
mediawiki-el[1], but I didn't use it much. I wanted a major mode for
reading and editing wikitext documents offline, but this package seems
to assume the user wants to edit wikipedia. It also has repeated
keybindings (e.g. M-n is bound too two different commands).

[1] https://github.com/hexmode/mediawiki-el

Best,
Yuchen

--
PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0
          <https://ypei.org/assets/ypei-pubkey.txt>

* Re: Edit Wikipedia Article directly in Emacs?
@ 2023-06-30 11:02       ` Yuchen Pei
From: Yuchen Pei @ 2023-06-30 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: Philip Kaludercic, Jonas Damm, help-gnu-emacs

On Fri 2023-06-30 15:26:37 +0700, Yuri Khan wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 at 11:57, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
>
>> * Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> [2023-06-28 17:28]:
>> > I am not sure how good of an idea this is, to my recollection Wikipedia
>> > markup is fairly specific and it is not easy to map between different
>> > markup formats without loosing too much information.
>>
>> Just to mention that command line:
>>
>> pandoc -f org -t mediawiki MYFILE.org
>>
>> is to convert Org to Mediawiki format.
>
> The specifics of Mediawiki is that you can have templates that
> effectively extend the markup language, and this is widely used in
> Wikipedia and its sister wikis. A quick experiment shows that Pandoc
> silently drops most template inclusions.

Ya, pandoc is nice, but from my experience it always requires some
filters to work well. And Haskell is about the furthest thing from a
scripting language, it is not as nice to iterate / experiment as elisp.

With tree-sitter, it would be nice if people could agree on the specs of
an intermediate representation for markup languages, so that we can get
a pandoc in emacs, and with the customisability in emacs would be one
step closer to meet OP's requirement.

Best,
Yuchen