all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* please gmane.org stop forwarding windows viruses
       [not found] <20021130181051.CVAH1440.out008.verizon.net@Hxeww>
@ 2002-12-08 22:12 ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-12-08 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

The article in my References has gmane.org's "X-Spam-Report: Message includes
Microsoft executable program * 10.0 -- BODY: Likely a Windows virus"

You might take the purest approach and say that it was the
gmane.emacs.bugs (bug-gnu-emacs) list's responsibility not to forward
it.  But if you check their headers, you'll see they test for spam too
but it passed.

Therefore, instead of hoping each group be spam experts, can gmane
please make this tiny "kludge against the purist approach" and not put
any message that causes "X-Spam-Report: Message includes
Microsoft executable program * 10.0 -- BODY: Likely a Windows virus"
on gmane?!

It's not that I will get infected.  It's that one or two of these 400KB
messages, and my modem session is wasted.

Yes you are so kind as to add a gmane.spam.detected Newsgroups
header.  We talked about how my software (noffle) was so unreasonable
to be in such a hurry as to not check each header before down load.

This you did not accept so how about: actually I enjoy reading spam,
but not viruses.  So will you put a gmane.virus.detected header on
too?  Ah ha, you expect most folks to kill any message cross posted to
gmane.spam.detected, when indeed that Newsgroups line is redundant, as
they could just kill on high spam scores found in the other headers.

Anyway, leafnode is too slow for my 10 minute modem calls.  Noffle is
the only one fast enough, and it does it by not checking headers.

Things would be fine if gmane didn't think it so important to forward
Microsoft viruses.

I mean what are the chances that it is a false positive?  Give me one
excuse for forwarding them.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780

* Re: please gmane.org stop forwarding windows viruses
@ 2002-12-14 18:03   ` Giskart
From: Giskart @ 2002-12-14 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Dan Jacobson wrote:
[cut]
> It's not that I will get infected.  It's that one or two of these 400KB
> messages, and my modem session is wasted.

Because the lists are still mailling lists and not real usenet groups
all postings must be go by the mailing list software. I is the
respondsibility of the list admin to allow or dis-allow messages, not gmane.

The list admin can set a maximum length in Kb of a message body.

Giskart

* Re: please gmane.org stop forwarding windows viruses
@ 2002-12-16  0:55   ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-12-16  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Here's another one:

Subject: Returned mail--"(typeof(g"
From: postmaster <postmaster@gnu.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 10:12:07 +0200 (EET)

In this one we see gnus' SpamAssassin has only added
"Message includes Microsoft executable program"
and not a virus warning.
Therefore "Message includes Microsoft executable program" is the one
you should act on.  Go for it.
--

@ 2002-12-16 14:35     ` John Goerzen
From: John Goerzen @ 2002-12-16 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

In article <87k7iazsrv.fsf@jidanni.org>, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> In this one we see gnus' SpamAssassin has only added
> "Message includes Microsoft executable program"
> and not a virus warning.
> Therefore "Message includes Microsoft executable program" is the one
> you should act on.  Go for it.

Are you asserting that every possible Microsoft executable program is a
virus?

* Re: please gmane.org stop forwarding windows viruses
@ 2002-12-16 23:44       ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-12-16 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: gmane-discuss

John> In article <87k7iazsrv.fsf@jidanni.org>, Dan Jacobson wrote:
>> In this one we see gnus' SpamAssassin has only added
>> "Message includes Microsoft executable program"
>> and not a virus warning.
>> Therefore "Message includes Microsoft executable program" is the one
>> you should act on.  Go for it.

John> Are you asserting that every possible Microsoft executable program is a
John> virus?

OK, sorry.  You guys with your high speed fixed internet connections
have the luxury of filtering them out on the receiving end, at least
by a complete header scan.

* Re: please gmane.org stop forwarding windows viruses
@ 2002-12-17 10:51       ` Francesco Potorti`
From: Francesco Potorti` @ 2002-12-17 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, gmane-discuss

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:
>Are you asserting that every possible Microsoft executable program is a
>virus?

Is there any need to let people post executable programs on this list?