all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M-x compile with input set to </dev/null as default
@ 2003-10-10  6:26 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2003-10-10  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just curious, why not run compile with input set to </dev/null as
default, as one can't just answer any questions asked on the screen,
e.g (compile "echo x=; read x").

* Re: M-x compile with input set to </dev/null as default
       [not found] <mailman.1519.1065829929.21628.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-10-13 16:07 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-10-13 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Jacobson wrote:

> Just curious, why not run compile with input set to </dev/null as
> default, as one can't just answer any questions asked on the screen,
> e.g (compile "echo x=; read x").

Probably because people are more interested in adding the ability to
read user input in a *compilation* buffer.  I first posted a way to do
that back in October 1996 and recently updated it for Emacs 21:

	From: Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com>
	Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
	Subject: Re: comint-mode broken in GNU Emacs 21.2.1?
	Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:39:01 -0600

Here's a link to that message:

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=3F6A3405.8040609%40yahoo.com

But 7 years ago I also submitted a patch that did exactly what you're
asking for:

	From: kevinr@ihs.com (Kevin Rodgers)
	Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.bug
	Subject: Re: standard input in *compile* buffers
	Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 07:50:11 -0600
	Here's a slightly improved version of the patch I submitted,
	which makes the redirection optional (controlled by the new
	variable compile- disable-input) as Karl suggested.  Its default
	value makes compile behave the same whether the platform
	supports asynchronous processes or not.

And here's a link to that message:

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=199610181350.HAA03498%40airedale.ihsyp

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: M-x compile with input set to </dev/null as default
@ 2003-10-14 19:49   ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2003-10-14 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

K> I first posted a way to do that back in October 1996 and recently
K> updated it for Emacs 21:[...]

K> But 7 years ago I also submitted a patch that did exactly what you're
K> asking for:

I notice a pattern: your hard work is breezing by the ears of those in
charge of the code.  You should make sure your effort is not getting
wasted.  Perhaps you need to join the core crew or whatever it is called.