all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: changing the scratch mode
@ 2005-07-23 18:56 ` Björn Lindström
       [not found] ` <mailman.1431.1122145508.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Björn Lindström @ 2005-07-23 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Baloff <vddr2u@bi.edu.gr> writes:

> C-x b to get the scratch buffer, so I can type an email, ops the mode
> line shows (Lisp Interaction), well I need the mode assosiated with
> .txt files, I remember when I open a file with .txt it had a (Text Fly
> Fill) mode. now how can I change this mode in the middle of my
> "writing the email".

To just change to text mode, M-x text-mode. However, if you're in a
scratch buffer and want that bound to a text file, it's probably more
comfortable to just C-x C-w somefile.txt

@ 2005-07-23 19:28   ` drkm
From: drkm @ 2005-07-23 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Björn Lindström) writes:

> To just change to text mode, M-x text-mode. However, if you're in a
> scratch buffer and want that bound to a text file, it's probably more
> comfortable to just C-x C-w somefile.txt

  Or maybe:

    (setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)

and:

    C-x b tmp <RET> y <...EDITING...> C-x h M-w C-x k <RET>

--drkm

@ 2005-07-24  5:26 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2005-07-24  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Baloff <vddr2u@bi.edu.gr> writes:

> Hello
>
> C-x b to get the scratch buffer, so I can type an email, ops the mode
> line shows (Lisp Interaction), well I need the mode assosiated with
> .txt files, I remember when I open a file with .txt it had a (Text Fly
> Fill) mode. now how can I change this mode in the middle of my
> "writing the email".
>
> thanks

I suspect there may be better ways of doing what you want, but its not
clear exactly what you want. For example, if you just want to write an
e-mail, why not use one of the many existing modes/packages for
composing e-mail. by doing this, you often get a lot of other added
benefits which may not get added when just creating a text file - for
example, you can define a bunch of e-mail specific abbrevs which only
take effect in buffers relating to composing e-mail, or you might
prefer different fill columns for normal text files compared to e-mail
messages or you might have a little emacs funciton which inserts witty
signatures into your e-mails which won't work if its just a buffer in
plain text mode etc.

I just get the feeling from your post that you may be trying to force
emacs into your way of thinking/doing things. While this is certainly
one of the major advantages of emacs, you can pretty much customize it
to be just how you want, its better to work out how emacs does things
first so that your not just re-inventing part of an existing
wheel. Once you know how emacs wants to do things, you can then more
easily work out how to best customize it to meet your personal
preferences.

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* changing the scratch mode
@ 2005-07-24 11:56 Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-07-24 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

@ 2005-07-26 12:23   ` Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-07-26 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim X wrote:
> Baloff <vddr2u@bi.edu.gr> writes:
>

>>Hello
>>
>>C-x b to get the scratch buffer, so I can type an email, ops the mode
>>line shows (Lisp Interaction), well I need the mode assosiated with
>>.txt files, I remember when I open a file with .txt it had a (Text Fly
>>Fill) mode. now how can I change this mode in the middle of my
>>"writing the email".
>>
>>thanks
>

> I suspect there may be better ways of doing what you want, but its not
> clear exactly what you want. For example, if you just want to write an
> e-mail, why not use one of the many existing modes/packages for
> composing e-mail. by doing this, you often get a lot of other added
> benefits which may not get added when just creating a text file - for
> example, you can define a bunch of e-mail specific abbrevs which only
> take effect in buffers relating to composing e-mail, or you might
> prefer different fill columns for normal text files compared to e-mail
> messages or you might have a little emacs funciton which inserts witty
> signatures into your e-mails which won't work if its just a buffer in
> plain text mode etc.
>
> I just get the feeling from your post that you may be trying to force
> emacs into your way of thinking/doing things. While this is certainly
> one of the major advantages of emacs, you can pretty much customize it
> to be just how you want, its better to work out how emacs does things
> first so that your not just re-inventing part of an existing
> wheel. Once you know how emacs wants to do things, you can then more
> easily work out how to best customize it to meet your personal
> preferences.
>
> Tim

right, gnus is one thing I did not know about, I am getting to know it
now, is there another package about emails in my system that I maynot be
aware off?

* Re: changing the scratch mode
@ 2005-07-26 22:47     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2005-07-26 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Baloff <vddr2u@bi.edu.gr> writes:

> Tim X wrote:
> > Baloff <vddr2u@bi.edu.gr> writes:
> >
> >>Hello
> >>
> >>C-x b to get the scratch buffer, so I can type an email, ops the mode
> >>line shows (Lisp Interaction), well I need the mode assosiated with
> >>.txt files, I remember when I open a file with .txt it had a (Text Fly
> >>Fill) mode. now how can I change this mode in the middle of my
> >>"writing the email".
> >>
> >>thanks
> > I suspect there may be better ways of doing what you want, but its
> > not
> > clear exactly what you want. For example, if you just want to write an
> > e-mail, why not use one of the many existing modes/packages for
> > composing e-mail. by doing this, you often get a lot of other added
> > benefits which may not get added when just creating a text file - for
> > example, you can define a bunch of e-mail specific abbrevs which only
> > take effect in buffers relating to composing e-mail, or you might
> > prefer different fill columns for normal text files compared to e-mail
> > messages or you might have a little emacs funciton which inserts witty
> > signatures into your e-mails which won't work if its just a buffer in
> > plain text mode etc. I just get the feeling from your post that you
> > may be trying to force
> > emacs into your way of thinking/doing things. While this is certainly
> > one of the major advantages of emacs, you can pretty much customize it
> > to be just how you want, its better to work out how emacs does things
> > first so that your not just re-inventing part of an existing
> > wheel. Once you know how emacs wants to do things, you can then more
> > easily work out how to best customize it to meet your personal
> > preferences. Tim
> >
> right, gnus is one thing I did not know about, I am getting to know it
> now, is there another package about emails in my system that I maynot
> be aware off?

The only other 'standard' mail package that comes with emacs is
rmail. However, there are *lots* of various packages around and many
distributions come with some of the more standard ones. I'd recommend
checking out

http://www.emacswiki.org

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: changing the scratch mode
@ 2005-07-27 10:31     ` Steinar Børmer
From: Steinar Børmer @ 2005-07-27 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Baloff wrote:

| right, gnus is one thing I did not know about, I am getting to know it
| now, is there another package about emails in my system that I maynot
| be aware off?

Gnus is by far the best developed and most powerful for email in Emacs.
Also, it has an active user community with web, nntp and irc support
available.  It's actively developed and support for various "new"
technologies is good.

NNTP: gnu.emacs.gnus

#gnus on Freenode.

--