all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* pick last item in an Info menu
@ 2005-08-13 18:05 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2005-08-13 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

In Info
  Advanced commands:
  1	Pick first item in node's menu.
  2, 3, 4, 5   Pick second ... fifth item in node's menu.
But no "pick last item". therefore perhaps "$" should pick last item.

* Re: pick last item in an Info menu
@ 2005-08-14  8:15 ` Juri Linkov
       [not found]   ` <E1E4PeI-0000Xp-O8@fencepost.gnu.org>
From: Juri Linkov @ 2005-08-14  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

> In Info
>   Advanced commands:
>   1	Pick first item in node's menu.
>   2, 3, 4, 5   Pick second ... fifth item in node's menu.
> But no "pick last item". therefore perhaps "$" should pick last item.

The stand-alone Info reader uses `0' to pick last item in node's menu.
I think the Emacs Info reader should use the same key.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: pick last item in an Info menu
       [not found]       ` <E1E58Hb-0004yd-AV@fencepost.gnu.org>
@ 2005-08-17 19:13         ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2005-08-17 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

jl>     `0' or `M-1 0' goes through the last menu item
jl>     `M-2 0' goes through the penultimate menu item
jl>     `M-3 0' goes through the third menu item from the end

Sounds unfamiliar.
ESC - 1, ESC - 2, ESC - 3 sounds more familiar perhaps.
(escape minus one = three strokes. M-- 1 I suppose.)

rms> I don't think it is useful enough to be worth documenting even in a
rms> doc string.  It is cleaner to recommend that the person go to the
rms> desired menu item and type RET.

Well no fair having a key to go to the third item, another to got to
the fourth item, but none to go to the last item.