all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* More files to delete?
@ 2007-02-13 17:14 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-02-13 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

admin/notes/copyright says the following files have no copyright
information.

etc/BABYL
lisp/term/README
admin/check-doc-strings
etc/ms-kermit

None of these files are necessary for the functioning of Emacs (except
maybe ms-kermit, which I am unsure about).  I think we should delete
them rather than spend time trying to track down the original authors.

* Re: More files to delete?
@ 2007-02-13 17:43 ` Stuart D. Herring
From: Stuart D. Herring @ 2007-02-13 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

> admin/notes/copyright says the following files have no copyright
> information.

I've just read through them and here provide what they say about themselves:

> etc/BABYL

Says

  This was written Tuesday, 12 April 1983 (by Eugene Ciccarelli), ...

> lisp/term/README

This has no source information in it at all.

> admin/check-doc-strings

This says

  # Author: Martin Buchholz

and (in its usage message)

  This program is in the public domain.

> etc/ms-kermit

This says

  ;; By Robert Earl (rearl@watnxt3.ucr.edu)
  ;; May 13, 1990

Davis

shipping.

* Re: More files to delete?
@ 2007-02-13 23:42   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-02-13 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: herring; +Cc: emacs-devel

"Stuart D. Herring" <herring@lanl.gov> writes:

>> etc/BABYL
>
> Says
>
>   This was written Tuesday, 12 April 1983 (by Eugene Ciccarelli), ...

It is probably difficult to get in contact with him to verify
authorship and ask about copyright assignments.  Since the file is not
essential, I think it can be deleted.

>> lisp/term/README
>
> This has no source information in it at all.

It was checked in by Eric S Raymond, and maybe written by him.  As
with the above, I think we should just delete the file.

>> etc/ms-kermit
>
> This says
>
>   ;; By Robert Earl (rearl@watnxt3.ucr.edu)
>   ;; May 13, 1990

Ditto.  Can anyone verify that this file is unneeded?