all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how to change buffer like in visual studio, ultraedit etc (like Alt-Tab in windows but for buffers)?
@ 2007-05-06  6:53 mopi
From: mopi @ 2007-05-06  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have tried some of the buffer switchers out there and while some
have neat stuff like regexp switching I just want it to work like in
visual studio or ultraedit.

I.e. keeping Ctrl pressed while pressing Tab repeatedly cycles between
the open buffers (preferably in order of last usage). C-S-tab cycles
the reverse order. Pressing C-tab only one time switches to the last
viewed buffer.

I have tried swbuff-y but pressing C-tab only once just brings up the
buffer-switcher and don't switch to last viewed buffer. Also, when I
cycle to a another buffer name in the list I need to press RET to
actually switch to it. The preferred way would be to switch to the
currently highlighted buffer when I release the Ctrl key. Like Alt-Tab
works in windows.

Thanks in advance.

* Re: how to change buffer like in visual studio, ultraedit etc (like Alt-Tab in windows but for buffers)?
@ 2007-05-06 16:06 ` anders
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: anders @ 2007-05-06 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi
I have UltraEdit to att Work but moved to Emacs, so same question was
mine i time ago.

For cyckling as Ultra Edit (C is shortcut for Ctrl ..)
C - x   C + <Cursor Right>
C -x   C + <Cursor Left>
(C-x is for tell Emacs this is a extended command)

Other buffercommand that is god
Select named C-x b
List All    C-x C-b

Move between windows (som commands splits windows) is   C-x o (Letter
O for Other Windows)
To Close all Windows exept current press    C-x 1  (Think Just 1
window)

As anyting in Emacs that you don't like you can changes, but i have
not done this
ex. you can changes copy/paste to work with Ctrl-C etc, but i use
diffrent unix, Linux, and OS/x
and if you redefine stuff is just mess upp this woking with other
emacs.

Anders

@ 2007-05-06 19:04 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
       [not found] ` <mailman.339.1178478694.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-05-06 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mopi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

mopi wrote:

> I have tried swbuff-y but pressing C-tab only once just brings up the
> buffer-switcher and don't switch to last viewed buffer.

Customize swbuff-delay-switch to change that.

> Also, when I
> cycle to a another buffer name in the list I need to press RET to
> actually switch to it. The preferred way would be to switch to the
> currently highlighted buffer when I release the Ctrl key. Like Alt-Tab
> works in windows.

Unfortunately you can not make it act precisely like that in Emacs.
However you can press for example Tab to do the switching. This is a bit
more convenient then pressing RET.

You can also press n for "new frame" or w for "other window".

But there is a hugh amount of ways to do buffer switching. I looked once
at Icicle for that, but really have not had the chance to try it out yet.

* RE: how to change buffer like in visual studio, ultraedit etc (like Alt-Tab in windows but for buffers)?
@ 2007-05-06 20:01   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-05-06 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> But there is a hugh amount of ways to do buffer switching. I looked once
> at Icicle for that, but really have not had the chance to try it out yet.

I got the impression that the OP had already looked at this page, but if
not, it's a good place to start:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SwitchingBuffers

As Lennart said, there are many ways to switch among buffers. I suggest that
the OP try a few or read some doc about them. Each has its advantages, and
each will be preferred by some people.

Wrt Icicles: Buffer switching is quite customizable in Icicles, so various
behaviors are possible. However, the default Icicles behavior is not the
behavior that the OP requested.

The question of buffer switching comes up here regularly, and it is often
followed by messages recommending this or that approach. I suggest that
people edit the EmacsWiki page cited above to express their recommendations.
That will provide a central, fairly persistent record of their suggestions,
and it will possibly hit a wider audience.

* Re: how to change buffer like in visual studio, ultraedit etc (like Alt-Tab in windows but for buffers)?
       [not found] <mailman.340.1178482201.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-06 20:44 ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-05-06 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> But there is a hugh amount of ways to do buffer switching. I looked once
>> at Icicle for that, but really have not had the chance to try it out yet.
>
> I got the impression that the OP had already looked at this page, but if
> not, it's a good place to start:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SwitchingBuffers
>
> As Lennart said, there are many ways to switch among buffers. I suggest that
> the OP try a few or read some doc about them. Each has its advantages, and
> each will be preferred by some people.
>
> Wrt Icicles: Buffer switching is quite customizable in Icicles, so various
> behaviors are possible. However, the default Icicles behavior is not the
> behavior that the OP requested.
>
> The question of buffer switching comes up here regularly, and it is often
> followed by messages recommending this or that approach. I suggest that
> people edit the EmacsWiki page cited above to express their recommendations.
> That will provide a central, fairly persistent record of their suggestions,
> and it will possibly hit a wider audience.

I would recommend iswitchb.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/IswitchBuffers

* Re: how to change buffer like in visual studio, ultraedit etc (like Alt-Tab in windows but for buffers)?
@ 2007-05-06 22:03 ` Micha Feigin
       [not found] ` <mailman.339.1178478694.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Micha Feigin @ 2007-05-06 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 5 May 2007 23:53:56 -0700
mopi <52hands@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have tried some of the buffer switchers out there and while some
> have neat stuff like regexp switching I just want it to work like in
> visual studio or ultraedit.
>
> I.e. keeping Ctrl pressed while pressing Tab repeatedly cycles between
> the open buffers (preferably in order of last usage). C-S-tab cycles
> the reverse order. Pressing C-tab only one time switches to the last
> viewed buffer.

Have a look at tabbar.el I got it from
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/TabBarMode

Not completely what you want since it doesn't go by usage order though.

I set it up with:

;; enable the tabbar
(require 'tabbar)
;; show only non-scratch buffers
(setq tabbar-buffer-list-function
   (lambda ()
      (remove-if
          (lambda(buffer)
          (find (aref (buffer-name buffer) 0) " *")) (buffer-list))))
(tabbar-mode)

(global-set-key [(control f10)] 'tabbar-local-mode)
(global-set-key [(C-S-iso-lefttab)] 'tabbar-backward-tab)
(global-set-key [(C-tab)]       'tabbar-forward-tab)
(global-set-key [(C-M-S-iso-lefttab)] 'tabbar-backward-group)
(global-set-key [(C-M-tab)]       'tabbar-forward-group)

@ 2007-05-07  8:42   ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2007-05-07  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Quoth Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il>:

>> I have tried swbuff-y but pressing C-tab only once just brings up the
>> buffer-switcher and don't switch to last viewed buffer. Also, when I
>> cycle to a another buffer name in the list I need to press RET to
>> actually switch to it. The preferred way would be to switch to the
>> currently highlighted buffer when I release the Ctrl key. Like Alt-Tab
>> works in windows.

I reckon iswitchb is what you're looking for.

Just add this line to your ~/.emacs:

  (iswitchb-mode t)

and buffer switching is performed in the minibuffer.

Cycle between buffers using 'C-s' and 'C-r'.

Sebastian

* Re: how to change buffer like in visual studio, ultraedit etc (like Alt-Tab in windows but for buffers)?
       [not found]   ` <1178485348.638200.302000@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>
@ 2007-05-07 17:45     ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-05-07 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mopi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

mopi wrote:

> Do you mean that it is impossible to do this in Emacs or that swbuff
> isn't the right tool for it? If there is a way to intercept keyup
> events then it is probably possible.

I do not remember the details now, but I concluded at the time I wrote
swbuff-y that you could not get the necessary events.