all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* getting emacs to use GUI mode
@ 2008-07-21 22:30 Thr4wn
From: Thr4wn @ 2008-07-21 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a way to force emacs to use the X display? I read that
setting DISPLAY env var will do that, but that does not seem to work
-- its value is already set to ":0.0", but emacs still runs in CLI
mode. There also isn't any kind of error or warning, it just simply
loads in CLI mode.

Would a greater understanding of X11 server/client system be required
to solve this problem, or am I still missing something else?

I am using...

Debian Etch
gnome-terminal
emacs 22.1.1

thanks,
-Thr4wn

* Re: getting emacs to use GUI mode
@ 2008-07-21 22:40 ` Joost Diepenmaat
From: Joost Diepenmaat @ 2008-07-21 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thr4wn <Seth.A.Bird@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a way to force emacs to use the X display? I read that
> setting DISPLAY env var will do that, but that does not seem to work
> -- its value is already set to ":0.0", but emacs still runs in CLI
> mode. There also isn't any kind of error or warning, it just simply
> loads in CLI mode.
>
> Would a greater understanding of X11 server/client system be required
> to solve this problem, or am I still missing something else?
>
> I am using...
>
> Debian Etch
> gnome-terminal
> emacs 22.1.1

Can you start other X programs using the same terminal? If so, you may
have installed the emacs22-nox package instead of the emacs22-gtk
package. emacs22-nox is the version without X support.

* Re: getting emacs to use GUI mode
@ 2008-07-23 19:33   ` Thr4wn
From: Thr4wn @ 2008-07-23 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 21, 6:40 pm, Joost Diepenmaat <jo...@zeekat.nl> wrote:
> Thr4wn <Seth.A.B...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Is there a way to force emacs to use the X display? I read that
> > setting DISPLAY env var will do that, but that does not seem to work
> > -- its value is already set to ":0.0", but emacs still runs in CLI
> > mode. There also isn't any kind of error or warning, it just simply
> > loads in CLI mode.
>
> > Would a greater understanding of X11 server/client system be required
> > to solve this problem, or am I still missing something else?
>
> > I am using...
>
> > Debian Etch
> > gnome-terminal
> > emacs 22.1.1
>
> Can you start other X programs using the same terminal? If so, you may
> have installed the emacs22-nox package instead of the emacs22-gtk
> package. emacs22-nox is the version without X support.
>
> --
> Joost Diepenmaat | blog:http://joost.zeekat.nl/| work:http://zeekat.nl/

I am able to start any x program (like iceweasel) from that psuedo-
terminal. Is there some way to determine if I have the nox version?

@ 2008-07-25  4:45     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-07-25  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thr4wn wrote:
> On Jul 21, 6:40 pm, Joost Diepenmaat <jo...@zeekat.nl> wrote:
> I am able to start any x program (like iceweasel) from that psuedo-
> terminal. Is there some way to determine if I have the nox version?

Check whether the emacs executable is linked with the X libraries
(sorry, I don't know how to do that on your platform).

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: getting emacs to use GUI mode
@ 2008-07-25  7:54     ` Joost Diepenmaat
From: Joost Diepenmaat @ 2008-07-25  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thr4wn <Seth.A.Bird@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jul 21, 6:40 pm, Joost Diepenmaat <jo...@zeekat.nl> wrote:
>> Can you start other X programs using the same terminal? If so, you may
>> have installed the emacs22-nox package instead of the emacs22-gtk
>> package. emacs22-nox is the version without X support.
>
> I am able to start any x program (like iceweasel) from that psuedo-
> terminal. Is there some way to determine if I have the nox version?

Since you're on debian, try:

dpkg-query -s emacs22-nox

and

dpkg-query -s emacs22-gtk

The Status: output line of those commands should contain "installed"
for the package that's currently installed (only one of them may be
installed at the same time).

Alternatively, you can try to install emacs22-gtk, which will replace
the emacs22-nox package if that's currently installed:

apt-get update
apt-get install emacs22-gtk

J.

* Re: getting emacs to use GUI mode
@ 2008-07-25  9:13       ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-07-25  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Diepenmaat <joost@zeekat.nl> writes:

> Thr4wn <Seth.A.Bird@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Jul 21, 6:40 pm, Joost Diepenmaat <jo...@zeekat.nl> wrote:
>>> Can you start other X programs using the same terminal? If so, you may
>>> have installed the emacs22-nox package instead of the emacs22-gtk
>>> package. emacs22-nox is the version without X support.
>>
>> I am able to start any x program (like iceweasel) from that psuedo-
>> terminal. Is there some way to determine if I have the nox version?
>
> Since you're on debian, try:
>
> dpkg-query -s emacs22-nox
>
> and
>
> dpkg-query -s emacs22-gtk
>
> The Status: output line of those commands should contain "installed"
> for the package that's currently installed (only one of them may be
> installed at the same time).
>
> Alternatively, you can try to install emacs22-gtk, which will replace
> the emacs22-nox package if that's currently installed:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get install emacs22-gtk
>
> J.

Another thing to consider is the alternatives facility in Debian.

Try

ls -l /etc/alternatives/emacs

And then look up update-alternatives. e.g. You might do this:

/usr/sbin/update-alternatives --display emacs

* Re: getting emacs to use GUI mode
@ 2008-07-25 19:08       ` Thr4wn
From: Thr4wn @ 2008-07-25 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 25, 3:54 am, Joost Diepenmaat <jo...@zeekat.nl> wrote:
> Thr4wn <Seth.A.B...@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Jul 21, 6:40 pm, Joost Diepenmaat <jo...@zeekat.nl> wrote:
> >> Can you start other X programs using the same terminal? If so, you may
> >> have installed the emacs22-nox package instead of the emacs22-gtk
> >> package. emacs22-nox is the version without X support.
>
> > I am able to start any x program (like iceweasel) from that psuedo-
> > terminal. Is there some way to determine if I have the nox version?
>
> Since you're on debian, try:
>
> dpkg-query -s emacs22-nox
>
> and
>
> dpkg-query -s emacs22-gtk
>
> The Status: output line of those commands should contain "installed"
> for the package that's currently installed (only one of them may be
> installed at the same time).
>
> Alternatively, you can try to install emacs22-gtk, which will replace
> the emacs22-nox package if that's currently installed:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get install emacs22-gtk
>
> J.
>
> --