all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* howto bundle smtpmail.el with emacs
@ 2008-12-11  7:32 laszo
From: laszo @ 2008-12-11  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

when i send a mail ,the *Message* buffer says:

Sending...
Sending via mail...
progn: Please use `smtpmail.el' bundled with Emacs.

What can i do please?

* Re: howto bundle smtpmail.el with emacs
@ 2008-12-11 13:19 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-12-11 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

laszo <3he628@163.com> writes:

Hi!

> when i send a mail ,the *Message* buffer says:
>
> Sending...
> Sending via mail...
> progn: Please use `smtpmail.el' bundled with Emacs.
>
> What can i do please?

Add

  (load "d:/emacs/site-lisp/gnus/contrib/smtpmail.el")

to your ~/.gnus.el.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Q: How many Chuck Norris' does it take to change a light bulb?
A: None, Chuck Norris prefers to kill in the dark.

* Re: howto bundle smtpmail.el with emacs
@ 2008-12-11 21:17   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-12-11 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Dec 11 2008, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> laszo <3he628@163.com> writes:
>
> Hi!
>
>> when i send a mail ,the *Message* buffer says:
>>
>> Sending...
>> Sending via mail...
>> progn: Please use `smtpmail.el' bundled with Emacs.
>>
>> What can i do please?
>
> Add
>
>   (load "d:/emacs/site-lisp/gnus/contrib/smtpmail.el")
>
> to your ~/.gnus.el.

No, quite the contrary!  Laszo should *not* load the file from contrib
unless he uses Emacs < 22.

,----[ contrib/README ]

`----

,----[ contrib/smtpmail.el ]
| ;; This version of `smtpmail.el' should only be used with Emacs 21.
| (if (featurep 'xemacs)
|     (error "Please use `smtpmail.el' from the mail-lib package.")
|   (when (>= emacs-major-version 22)
|     (error "Please use `smtpmail.el' bundled with Emacs.")))
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: howto bundle smtpmail.el with emacs
@ 2008-12-12 10:39     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-12-12 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Reiner,

>>> Sending...
>>> Sending via mail...
>>> progn: Please use `smtpmail.el' bundled with Emacs.
>>>
>>> What can i do please?
>>
>> Add
>>
>>   (load "d:/emacs/site-lisp/gnus/contrib/smtpmail.el")
>>
>> to your ~/.gnus.el.
>
> No, quite the contrary!

Ups, sorry, that was bogus!

  (load "d:/emacs/<version>/lisp/mail/smtpmail.el")

would be the correct path.  I only wanted to say that `load' is his
friend.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: howto bundle smtpmail.el with emacs
@ 2008-12-13 11:07       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-12-13 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Dec 12 2008, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
[...]
>>> Add
>>>
>>>   (load "d:/emacs/site-lisp/gnus/contrib/smtpmail.el")
>>>
>>> to your ~/.gnus.el.
>>
>> No, quite the contrary!
>
> Ups, sorry, that was bogus!
>
>   (load "d:/emacs/<version>/lisp/mail/smtpmail.el")
>
> would be the correct path.  I only wanted to say that `load' is his
> friend.

Actually it isn't here. :-)  It simply wrong to have contrib/ in
`load-path' as described in contrib/README:

,----[ contrib/README ]
| Please note that it is NOT good to just add this directory to
| `load-path': a number of files in this directory will become part of
| more recent Emacs versions, so that you might be running obsolete
| libraries with all kinds of ill effects
| (cf. `list-load-path-shadows').
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: howto bundle smtpmail.el with emacs
@ 2008-12-13 13:29         ` laszo
From: laszo @ 2008-12-13 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Reiner Steib wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12 2008, Tassilo Horn wrote:
>
>> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
> [...]
>>> No, quite the contrary!
>> Ups, sorry, that was bogus!
>>
>>   (load "d:/emacs/<version>/lisp/mail/smtpmail.el")
>>
>> would be the correct path.  I only wanted to say that `load' is his
>> friend.
>
> Actually it isn't here. :-)  It simply wrong to have contrib/ in
> `load-path' as described in contrib/README:
>
> ,----[ contrib/README ]
> | Please note that it is NOT good to just add this directory to
> | `load-path': a number of files in this directory will become part of
> | more recent Emacs versions, so that you might be running obsolete
> | libraries with all kinds of ill effects
> | (cf. `list-load-path-shadows').
> `----
>
> Bye, Reiner.