all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Boldifing all faces?
@ 2009-03-20 18:53 Elena
From: Elena @ 2009-03-20 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

can you boldify (make bold) all faces, without having to customize
each one?

* RE: Boldifing all faces?
@ 2009-03-20 19:58 ` Drew Adams
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-03-20 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Elena', help-gnu-emacs

> can you boldify (make bold) all faces, without having to customize
> each one?

Dunno if there's a simple way to do that. But you could customize the `default'
face to make it bold. Other faces that inherit from it and do not override the
boldness attribute should then also be bold.

* Re: Boldifing all faces?
@ 2009-03-20 23:06 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.3668.1237590437.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-20 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Elena; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.03.2009 um 19:53 schrieb Elena:

> can you boldify (make bold) all faces, without having to customize
> each one?

Not sure whether all will inherit this – what's wrong with giving GNU
Emacs a bold face font as default?

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _
           °\___o      /0~         -\<,              ^\___ /=\\_/-%
oo~_______ /\ /\______/ \_________O/ O_______________o===>-->O--o____

* Re: Boldifing all faces?
       [not found] ` <mailman.3668.1237590437.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-21  0:43   ` Elena
From: Elena @ 2009-03-21  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 21 Mar, 00:06, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Not sure whether all will inherit this – what's wrong with giving GNU
> Emacs a bold face font as default?

Already done that: some faces are still regular. I'm having such a
problem at work only, under Windows XP, whilst at home, under Linux,
boldifing the default font works.

I'll try to map a boldifing function over all defined faces. Maybe by
looking at "customize-face" I can find out the enumerating function.

Thanks anyway ^_^

* RE: Boldifing all faces?
@ 2009-03-21  3:52     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-03-21  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Elena', help-gnu-emacs

> On 21 Mar, 00:06, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> > Not sure whether all will inherit this - what's wrong with
> > giving GNU Emacs a bold face font as default?
>
> Already done that: some faces are still regular. I'm having such a
> problem at work only, under Windows XP, whilst at home, under Linux,
> boldifing the default font works.

Some possible reasons that occur to me why a face might not reflect a weight
change to `bold' for the `default' face:

1. It somehow doesn't inherit from `default'. (Is this possible?)

2. Its definition specifically overrides the inherited weight value (`bold').

3. Its font doesn't have bold support.

The reason might be something else, which doesn't occur to me. Try to discover
what it is by looking at the particular faces that don't seem to work.

My guess is the problem is #3. Windows typically has very different fonts. I see
this for some font families I use: they just don't support bold.

But I expect that someone truly knowledgeable will at some point speak up and
let you know the real story. ;-)

> I'll try to map a boldifing function over all defined faces. Maybe by
> looking at "customize-face" I can find out the enumerating function.

The first question is whether it even helps to specifically set the weight
attribute for one of the problematic faces to `bold'. I'm guessing it won't help
(because I'm guessing it's a font problem). If that's the case, then your
iteration approach won't help.

* Re: Boldifing all faces?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.3668.1237590437.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-26 10:39 ` Elena
From: Elena @ 2009-03-26 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 20, 6:53 pm, Elena <egarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can you boldify (make bold) all faces, without having to customize
> each one?

I've found out that setting the default font as bold works with some
fonts (e.g. DejaVu Sans Mono), it doesn't with others (e.g. Lucida
Console). Therefore I'll have to restrict my choices within fonts
which work.

Thanks

* Re: Boldifing all faces?
@ 2009-03-26 11:07   ` David Engster
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: David Engster @ 2009-03-26 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:
> On Mar 20, 6:53 pm, Elena <egarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> can you boldify (make bold) all faces, without having to customize
>> each one?
>
> I've found out that setting the default font as bold works with some
> fonts (e.g. DejaVu Sans Mono), it doesn't with others (e.g. Lucida
> Console). Therefore I'll have to restrict my choices within fonts
> which work.

Maybe this little snippet works for you?

(mapc
 (lambda (face)
   (set-face-attribute face nil :weight 'bold))
 (face-list))

-David

* Re: Boldifing all faces?
@ 2009-03-26 12:05   ` Peter Dyballa
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-26 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Elena; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.03.2009 um 11:39 schrieb Elena:

> I've found out that setting the default font as bold works with some
> fonts (e.g. DejaVu Sans Mono), it doesn't with others (e.g. Lucida
> Console).

Lucida Console has no bold face variant. With a Java SDK you get
Lucida Sans Typewriter. The last releases only offer regular and bold
faces, version 1.3.x has also italic and bold italic.

Other choices can be taken from TeX: Latin Modern Mono and TeX Gyre
Cursor! (And there the usual suspects like Courier or Courier New or
Luxi Mono or FreeMono or Bitstream Vera Sans Mono or Monospace [by
George Williams].)

--
Greetings

   Pete

If you don't find it in the index, look very carefully through the
entire catalogue.
	–  Sears, Roebuck, and Co., Consumer's Guide, 1897

* RE: Boldifing all faces?
@ 2009-03-26 16:08   ` Drew Adams
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4019.1238083756.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4002.1238065689.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-03-26 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Elena', help-gnu-emacs

> > can you boldify (make bold) all faces, without having to customize
> > each one?
>
> I've found out that setting the default font as bold works with some
> fonts (e.g. DejaVu Sans Mono), it doesn't with others (e.g. Lucida
> Console). Therefore I'll have to restrict my choices within fonts
> which work.

That's what I was trying to suggest in my reply to your initial post: It's not a
problem of MS Windows vs GNU/Linux, but a problem of fonts that don't have a
bold version (support for bold).

* Re: Boldifing all faces?
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4019.1238083756.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-26 17:56     ` Elena
From: Elena @ 2009-03-26 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 26 Mar, 17:08, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > > can you boldify (make bold) all faces, without having to customize
> > > each one?
>
> > I've found out that setting the default font as bold works with some
> > fonts (e.g. DejaVu Sans Mono), it doesn't with others (e.g. Lucida
> > Console). Therefore I'll have to restrict my choices within fonts
> > which work.
>
> That's what I was trying to suggest in my reply to your initial post: It's not a
> problem of MS Windows vs GNU/Linux, but a problem of fonts that don't have a
> bold version (support for bold).

Well, within the font dialog I do see a bold variant for Lucida
Console. It doesn't show for every font, therefore I thought it was
meaningful. It I choose it, some faces will be bold, some not. BTW,
the font dialog doesn't show all the True Type fonts I have on the
system, whilst they work if passed to set-default-font; some fonts are
shown yet they don't work; therefore I think font support in GNU Emacs
Win32 is not full.

Well, at least on Windows we have a font dialog, whilst on Linux I had
to investigate what fonts were available using other tools, then
passing their string-ized specification to set-default-font. Not
funny.

Thank you all for your kind replies

* Re: Boldifing all faces?
@ 2009-03-26 20:40       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-26 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Elena; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.03.2009 um 18:56 schrieb Elena:

> Well, at least on Windows we have a font dialog, whilst on Linux I had
> to investigate what fonts were available using other tools, then
> passing their string-ized specification to set-default-font. Not
> funny.

Linux can be a bit more complicated: it has two "font services:" one
supplied by the X server (X client xfontsel, on the command line
xlsfonts) and one handled by the human client, based on libfontconfig
(fc-list or fc-match on the command line).

A rather fool-proof method to determine the system's font repertoire is:

	M-x set-frame-font RET TAB TAB

The X server supplies fonts named like this one: -b&h-
lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-m-*-iso10646-1, libfontconfig
loves simple names: LucidaSansTypewriter or LucidaTypewriter or
Lucida Sans Typewriter, mostly followed by a predicate
like :style=Bold or such.

--
Greetings

   Pete

It's not the valleys in life I dread so much as the dips.
				– Garfield

* Re: Boldifing all faces?
@ 2009-03-27  0:28       ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-03-27  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Elena wrote:
>>> I've found out that setting the default font as bold works with some
>>> fonts (e.g. DejaVu Sans Mono), it doesn't with others (e.g. Lucida
>>> Console). Therefore I'll have to restrict my choices within fonts
>>> which work.
>> That's what I was trying to suggest in my reply to your initial post: It's not a
>> problem of MS Windows vs GNU/Linux, but a problem of fonts that don't have a
>> bold version (support for bold).
>
> Well, within the font dialog I do see a bold variant for Lucida
> Console. It doesn't show for every font, therefore I thought it was
> meaningful. It I choose it, some faces will be bold, some not. BTW,
> the font dialog doesn't show all the True Type fonts I have on the
> system, whilst they work if passed to set-default-font; some fonts are
> shown yet they don't work; therefore I think font support in GNU Emacs
> Win32 is not full.
>
> Well, at least on Windows we have a font dialog, whilst on Linux I had
> to investigate what fonts were available using other tools, then
> passing their string-ized specification to set-default-font. Not
> funny.
>
> Thank you all for your kind replies

To see more fonts add this to (custom-set-variables

  '(w32-list-proportional-fonts t)

Ed

* Re: Boldifing all faces?
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4002.1238065689.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-27 11:42     ` Elena
From: Elena @ 2009-03-27 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yes, it does: all faces become bold, no matter what font I've choosen.

I have Lucida Console with a bold variant on XP. I swear   ^_^