all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* No toolkit scrollbars with --with-x-toolkit=lucid
@ 2010-04-09  7:44 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-04-09  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

I've heard good things about the Lucid/Athena scrollbars, so I wanted to
try them out.  I configured my bzr copy with

  --with-sound --with-x --without-gconf --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
  --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm
  --with-xft --with-libotf --with-m17n-flt --with-x-toolkit=lucid
  --without-hesiod --without-kerberos --without-kerberos5 --with-gpm
  --with-dbus

Unfortunately, after configuring it says it will build without toolkit
scrollbars.

  What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          LUCID
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                Standard dirs
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   Standard dirs
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use a gif library?                           yes -lgif
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                yes
  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -lgconf?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              yes
  Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              yes
  Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     no

I have libXaw-1.0.7 installed.  Or does libXaw provide no scrollbars and
I need to have Xaw3d?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: No toolkit scrollbars with --with-x-toolkit=lucid
@ 2010-04-09  9:26 ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2010-04-09  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-devel

Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've heard good things about the Lucid/Athena scrollbars, so I wanted to
> try them out.  I configured my bzr copy with
>
>   --with-sound --with-x --without-gconf --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
>   --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm
>   --with-xft --with-libotf --with-m17n-flt --with-x-toolkit=lucid
>   --without-hesiod --without-kerberos --without-kerberos5 --with-gpm
>   --with-dbus
>
> Unfortunately, after configuring it says it will build without toolkit
> scrollbars.
>
>   What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
>   What toolkit should Emacs use?                          LUCID
>   Where do we find X Windows header files?                Standard dirs
>   Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   Standard dirs
>   Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
>   Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
>   Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes
>   Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
>   Does Emacs use a gif library?                           yes -lgif
>   Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   yes
>   Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                yes
>   Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   yes
>   Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  yes
>   Does Emacs use -lgconf?                                 no
>   Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              yes
>   Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              yes
>   Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   yes
>   Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   yes
>   Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     no
>
> I have libXaw-1.0.7 installed.  Or does libXaw provide no scrollbars and
> I need to have Xaw3d?

You have to have Xaw3D to get Xaw scroll bars.  Xaw has scroll bars, but
I think there where some incompability problems with Xaw3D, and so only
Xaw3D is used in Emacs.

	Jan D.

* Re: No toolkit scrollbars with --with-x-toolkit=lucid
@ 2010-04-09  9:58   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-04-09  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi Jan,

> >   Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     no
> >
> > I have libXaw-1.0.7 installed.  Or does libXaw provide no scrollbars
> > and I need to have Xaw3d?
>
> You have to have Xaw3D to get Xaw scroll bars.  Xaw has scroll bars,
> but I think there where some incompability problems with Xaw3D, and so
> only Xaw3D is used in Emacs.

Ok, thanks for the info.  Then I'll stay with no toolkit scrollbars.

@ 2010-04-10  1:24   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-04-10  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan D.; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, emacs-devel

> You have to have Xaw3D to get Xaw scroll bars.  Xaw has scroll bars, but
> I think there where some incompability problems with Xaw3D, and so only
> Xaw3D is used in Emacs.

AFAIK the code worked fine with Xaw scrollbars, except that the
configure/make scripts don't provide an option to use them, mostly
because the "no toolkit" scrollbars provide pretty much the exact same
appearance and behavior anyway.

* Re: No toolkit scrollbars with --with-x-toolkit=lucid
@ 2010-04-10  2:40     ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2010-04-10  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> You have to have Xaw3D to get Xaw scroll bars.  Xaw has scroll bars, but
>> I think there where some incompability problems with Xaw3D, and so only
>> Xaw3D is used in Emacs.
>
> AFAIK the code worked fine with Xaw scrollbars, except that the
> configure/make scripts don't provide an option to use them, mostly because
> the "no toolkit" scrollbars provide pretty much the exact same appearance
> and behavior anyway.

Years ago I contributed code to XEmacs to detect, at runtime, a problem
I encountered in practise: that a version of XEmacs compiled for Xaw, running
against Xaw3D[1], would crash because the ABI changed with the same soname.

I have no idea if this is at all related, but IIRC there were some problems
with Linux distributions, and perhaps beyond, that resulted in this causing
real-world issues.

This may, or may not, have anything to do with why the feature is disabled in
GNU Emacs, but may be a point worth noting.[2]

        Daniel

Besides, most of the Xaw problems are dead by now, I suspect, save for the
rare custom build done by individual users.

Footnotes:
[1]  ...or maybe it was 3D vs some other NextSTEP-like Xaw set.

[2]  ...and I am happy to assign copyright of that code, using my existing
     Emacs contribution agreement, if y'all want to pick it up or anything.

--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ daniel@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707