all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Partial font locking with Emacs 24
@ 2010-10-19  9:58 Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2010-10-19  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,

Since about a week or two I am seeing incomplete font-locking
behaviour with "GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (2010-10-18)" in c++-mode. The
variables and function names are displayed in the `default' face
instead of `font-lock-variable-name-face' and
`font-lock-function-name-face' respectively.

Compare lines 55 and 62 in the screen shots below to see what I mean.

Emacs 23.2.1 (correct font-lock behaviour)
<http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll164/jalladandtux/screenies/emacs-23-font-lock.png>

Emacs 24 (incorrect font-lock behaviour)
<http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll164/jalladandtux/screenies/emacs-24-font-lock.png>

Does anyone else notice something like this?

--
Suvayu

* Re: Partial font locking with Emacs 24
@ 2010-10-19 10:47 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2010-10-19 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.10.2010 11:58, schrieb Suvayu Ali:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Since about a week or two I am seeing incomplete font-locking
> behaviour with "GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (2010-10-18)" in c++-mode. The
> variables and function names are displayed in the `default' face
> instead of `font-lock-variable-name-face' and
> `font-lock-function-name-face' respectively.
>
> Compare lines 55 and 62 in the screen shots below to see what I mean.
>
> Emacs 23.2.1 (correct font-lock behaviour)
> <http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll164/jalladandtux/screenies/emacs-23-font-lock.png>
>

> Emacs 24 (incorrect font-lock behaviour)
> <http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll164/jalladandtux/screenies/emacs-24-font-lock.png>
>

> Does anyone else notice something like this?

Hi,

there are many bugs still in the 24' branch,
it's not for daily use IMHO.

Have a look at the recent bug reports.

http://debbugs.gnu.org/

Please write just another one...

Thanks,

Andreas

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/python-mode-components
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

* Re: Partial font locking with Emacs 24
@ 2010-10-20  8:24   ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2010-10-20  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Andreas,

On 19 October 2010 03:47, Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> wrote:
> there are many bugs still in the 24' branch,
> it's not for daily use IMHO.
>
> Have a look at the recent bug reports.
>
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/

I had a look. There seems to be none that are related. This wasn't a
problem until a few weeks ago. Maybe something introduced this
regression in the last 2 weeks.

> Please write just another one...

I know the recommended way to report bugs is `M-x report-emacs-bug'
but I don't have a mailserver on my desktop. Should I just copy paste
the output of that buffer into any other usual email client or web
interface like Gmail and send to the list? I am not subscribed to it,
does that mean I can't post to it?

> Thanks,
>
> Andreas

Thanks for your response.

--

@ 2010-10-20  8:33     ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2010-10-20  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.10.2010 10:24, schrieb suvayu ali:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On 19 October 2010 03:47, Andreas Röhler<andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de>  wrote:
>> there are many bugs still in the 24' branch,
>> it's not for daily use IMHO.
>>
>> Have a look at the recent bug reports.
>>
>> http://debbugs.gnu.org/
>>

> I had a look. There seems to be none that are related. This wasn't a
> problem until a few weeks ago. Maybe something introduced this
> regression in the last 2 weeks.
>
>> Please write just another one...
>>

> I know the recommended way to report bugs is `M-x report-emacs-bug'
> but I don't have a mailserver on my desktop.

You don't need  a mailserver.
Just send your report created by `M-x report-emacs-bug'
the way as you sent this mail, but

use the mail address filled in by `M-x report-emacs-bug',
it will be

bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

probably.

Then the tracker gets it.

Another way is to edit the html-mask at the tracker, file the report there.
Didn't try that, but it should work.

Thanks!

@ 2010-10-20 12:55       ` Drew Adams
       [not found]         ` <mailman.7.1287630377.29798.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-10-20 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Andreas Röhler', help-gnu-emacs

> > I know the recommended way to report bugs is `M-x report-emacs-bug'
> > but I don't have a mailserver on my desktop.
>
> You don't need  a mailserver.
> Just send your report created by `M-x report-emacs-bug'
> the way as you sent this mail, but use the mail address
> filled in by `M-x report-emacs-bug', it will be
> bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org probably. Then the tracker gets it.

If you are on Windows (and perhaps some other platforms; dunno), just use `M-x
report-emacs-bug'.  When you've finished writing what you want, hit `C-c C-c'
and your ordinary mail client (e.g Outlook) will pop up a new mail message
addressed properly. The text you prepared in Emacs is on the clipboard - just
paste it into the mail message and click Send.

* Re: Partial font locking with Emacs 24
@ 2010-10-21  3:06         ` Suvayu Ali
       [not found]         ` <mailman.7.1287630377.29798.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2010-10-21  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wednesday 20 October 2010 05:55 AM, Drew Adams wrote:
>>> I know the recommended way to report bugs is `M-x report-emacs-bug'
>>> but I don't have a mailserver on my desktop.
>>
>> You don't need  a mailserver.
>> Just send your report created by `M-x report-emacs-bug'
>> the way as you sent this mail, but use the mail address
>> filled in by `M-x report-emacs-bug', it will be
>> bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org probably. Then the tracker gets it.
>
> If you are on Windows (and perhaps some other platforms; dunno), just use `M-x
> report-emacs-bug'.  When you've finished writing what you want, hit `C-c C-c'
> and your ordinary mail client (e.g Outlook) will pop up a new mail message
> addressed properly. The text you prepared in Emacs is on the clipboard - just
> paste it into the mail message and click Send.

I am on Linux. I guess that is why hitting C-c C-c attempts to send the
email using mail and since I don't have it setup to send emails to any
external address, the message bounces back after a few days.

I think I 'll just copy paste the contents of the buffer into my mail
client (thunderbird) and send.

Thanks for the responses Drew and Andreas.

--

@ 2010-10-21  7:03           ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2010-10-21  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

>>> You don't need  a mailserver.
>>> Just send your report created by `M-x report-emacs-bug'
>>> the way as you sent this mail, but use the mail address
>>> filled in by `M-x report-emacs-bug', it will be
>>> bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org probably. Then the tracker gets it.
>>
>> If you are on Windows (and perhaps some other platforms; dunno), just use `M-x
>> report-emacs-bug'.  When you've finished writing what you want, hit `C-c C-c'
>> and your ordinary mail client (e.g Outlook) will pop up a new mail message
>> addressed properly. The text you prepared in Emacs is on the clipboard - just
>> paste it into the mail message and click Send.
>>

> I am on Linux. I guess that is why hitting C-c C-c attempts to send the email
> using mail and since I don't have it setup to send emails to any external
> address, the message bounces back after a few days.
>
> I think I 'll just copy paste the contents of the buffer into my mail client
> (thunderbird) and send.
>
> Thanks for the responses Drew and Andreas.

or you could just configure emacs to use your mail server i.e.

(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "mail.server.somewhere.com")
(require 'smtpmail) ; this must come after the above setq or set the
                    ; via customize

If you need to use authentication to use the mail server, look at
smtpmail-auth-credentials, or better still M-x customize-group <ret>
smtpmail <ret>

It is easy to setuop and lets you easily send messages from within
emacs.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Partial font locking with Emacs 24
       [not found] <mailman.1.1287482356.27068.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-10-22 18:50 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2010-10-22 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,

> Since about a week or two I am seeing incomplete font-locking
> behaviour with "GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (2010-10-18)" in c++-mode. The
> variables and function names are displayed in the `default' face
> instead of `font-lock-variable-name-face' and
> `font-lock-function-name-face' respectively.

> Compare lines 55 and 62 in the screen shots below to see what I mean.

> Emacs 23.2.1 (correct font-lock behaviour)
> <http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll164/jalladandtux/screenies/emacs-23-font-lock.png>

> Emacs 24 (incorrect font-lock behaviour)
> <http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll164/jalladandtux/screenies/emacs-24-font-lock.png>

> Does anyone else notice something like this?

Best way of reporting this:
1/- Reduce to the minimum the size of the source file which shows the
error.  Actually post this code together with your bug report.  This
keeps it together forever, and is MUCH more convenient.

2/- (In c++-mode) type C-c C-b in your c++ buffer.  This will generate a
complete dump of the CC Mode configuration.  This is VERY helpful for
debugging.

3/- Send the bug report to bug-cc-mode@gnu.org.

I think I know which change caused this bug.  It would be nice to get it
fixed.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).