all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* multiple async-shell-command?
@ 2012-02-03 17:12 Tom Roche
From: Tom Roche @ 2012-02-03 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm running

me@it:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	LinuxMint
Release:	1
Codename:	debian
me@it:~$ uname -a
Linux it 3.0.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Sun Jul 24 02:24:44 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
me@it:~$ emacs-snapshot --version
GNU Emacs 24.0.92.1

I was just dired-ing a folder of PDFs, where I did

> & evince

to display one. I then tried to display another in the same way, but got

> A command is running. Kill it? (yes or no)

How can I run multiple simultaneous async-shell-command?
Or is there another/better way to do what I want?

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>

* Re: multiple async-shell-command?
@ 2012-02-05 22:48 ` Thamer Mahmoud
From: Thamer Mahmoud @ 2012-02-05 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com> writes:

> I was just dired-ing a folder of PDFs, where I did
>
>> & evince
>
> to display one. I then tried to display another in the same way, but got
>
>> A command is running. Kill it? (yes or no)
>
> How can I run multiple simultaneous async-shell-command?
> Or is there another/better way to do what I want?

I think this problem is caused by Emacs not able to associate multiple
processes to a single output buffer (in this case "*Async Shell
Command*"). To get rid of this message, I wrote Runner.el[1] which also
provides a better "open with" functionality for dired (although you will
need to use the '!' key instead of '&').

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/Runner

hth,
--
Thamer

* Re: multiple async-shell-command?
@ 2012-02-06  7:09 ` Alan E. Davis
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3279.1328516896.15002.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2012-02-06  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs, Tom Roche

Tom:

I also would be interested in being able to run more than one shell process
as asynchronous, without the message

> A command is running. Kill it? (yes or no)

I looked at Runner.  It is much more complicated than anything I would
need.   I hope this thread finds an answer.

Alan

* Re: multiple async-shell-command?
@ 2012-02-06  8:27   ` Thamer Mahmoud
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3279.1328516896.15002.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thamer Mahmoud @ 2012-02-06  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@gmail.com> writes:

> Tom:
>
> I also would be interested in being able to run more than one shell process
> as asynchronous, without the message
>
>> A command is running. Kill it? (yes or no)
>
> I looked at Runner.  It is much more complicated than anything I would
> need.   I hope this thread finds an answer.
>
> Alan

The trick is to rename the buffer before calling in the next
command. See the following link for other solutions:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6895155/multiple-asynchronous-shell-commands-in-emacs-dired

--
Thamer

@ 2012-02-06 16:20     ` jpkotta
From: jpkotta @ 2012-02-06 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: gnu.emacs.help; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I use openwith (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OpenWith), which works with dired.  Maybe it's not quite what you're looking for, but it can certainly open more than one file with an external application.  The version in the wiki causes the external programs to close when Emacs closes, because they're subprocesses of Emacs.  I've modified it to disown the processes so they stay up even after Emacs closes.  I just submitted a patch; you can get my version here: http://pastebin.com/F5kxd6sm.