all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Are ELPA files "part of GNU Emacs"?
@ 2012-04-29 15:09 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-29 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I see some ELPA files say they are part of GNU Emacs, some say they
are not part of GNU Emacs, some say they are part of another package
(e.g. auctex/tex.el is part of AUCTeX) -- and the rest say nothing.

I suggest they all say they are part of GNU ELPA, except for files
in packages like AUCTeX.

What do you think?

--
 Bastien

* Re: Are ELPA files "part of GNU Emacs"?
@ 2012-04-30  0:29 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-04-30  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I see some ELPA files say they are part of GNU Emacs, some say they
> are not part of GNU Emacs, some say they are part of another package
> (e.g. auctex/tex.el is part of AUCTeX) -- and the rest say nothing.
> I suggest they all say they are part of GNU ELPA, except for files
> in packages like AUCTeX.

I think they should not say they're part of Emacs, nor should they say
they're not part of Emacs (they're kind of halfway, in my mind).
Other than that, if they feel like saying they're part of something
(ELPA, AUCTeX, you name it...), more power to them,

* Re: Are ELPA files "part of GNU Emacs"?
@ 2012-04-30  4:38   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2012-04-30  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Bastien, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

>> I see some ELPA files say they are part of GNU Emacs, some say they
>> are not part of GNU Emacs, some say they are part of another package
>> (e.g. auctex/tex.el is part of AUCTeX) -- and the rest say nothing.
>> I suggest they all say they are part of GNU ELPA, except for files in
>> packages like AUCTeX.
>
> I think they should not say they're part of Emacs, nor should they say
> they're not part of Emacs (they're kind of halfway, in my mind).

The question is regarding the GPL preamble in those files.

Richard---any opinion?

* Re: Are ELPA files "part of GNU Emacs"?
@ 2012-04-30 11:41     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-04-30 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Bastien, rms, emacs-devel

>>> I see some ELPA files say they are part of GNU Emacs, some say they
>>> are not part of GNU Emacs, some say they are part of another package
>>> (e.g. auctex/tex.el is part of AUCTeX) -- and the rest say nothing.
>>> I suggest they all say they are part of GNU ELPA, except for files in
>>> packages like AUCTeX.
>> I think they should not say they're part of Emacs, nor should they say
>> they're not part of Emacs (they're kind of halfway, in my mind).

> The question is regarding the GPL preamble in those files.

I know, but the preamble should just say "This program is free
software...".

* Re: Are ELPA files "part of GNU Emacs"?
@ 2012-04-30 18:27     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2012-04-30 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: bzg, monnier, emacs-devel

Each of these files should say what package it is part of.

Clearly that package is not GNU Emacs.  The package is not ELPA
either, because ELPA is not a package.  Each file is part of some
specific named package (AUCTeX, for example) and should say so.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

* Re: Are ELPA files "part of GNU Emacs"?
@ 2012-05-01  8:30       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-01  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Chong Yidong, monnier, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Each of these files should say what package it is part of.
>
> Clearly that package is not GNU Emacs.  The package is not ELPA
> either, because ELPA is not a package.

Okay.

> Each file is part of some
> specific named package (AUCTeX, for example) and should say so.

Some files are standalone libraries, they are not part of a package
containing several files.  It would be weird to say they are part of
themselve.  I suggest these files just say nothing.

When I am confident all GNU ELPA package maintainers are notified
when a modification is done in their files through bzr, I will go
through the files and fix a few misleading statements.

--

@ 2012-05-01 11:49         ` Richard Stallman