Stefan Monnier writes: >> I enhanced the docstring and rewrote the command so that it does >> not use a temporary keymap. > > Not using a temporary keymap means reverting to the old code: please > explain precisely why using a temporary keymap is a problem (there are > good reasons to use it: e.g. it makes key-translation-map and friends > work correctly). Here is another patch, using ̀€set-temporary-overlay-map'. It fixes the problem with the message disappearing. It fixed another problem: the fact that in the current version, INC is always 1 when using the command repeatedly, as we would expect C-u 4 C-x C-+ + to increase by INC = 4 then again by INC = 4 again -- right now it increase by INC = 4 on the first hit, then INC = 1 on the second. It also changes the behavior regarding C-x C-0, which ends the loop. Let me know what you think,