all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#12545: 24.2; Updating packages does not reload files.
@ 2012-10-01  1:49 Donald Ephraim Curtis
From: Donald Ephraim Curtis @ 2012-10-01  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 12545

package.el supports an "upgrade" feature from `package-list-packages'
that installs a new version of a package and removes the old one. I
updated the `helm' package on my system and you can see that when trying
to kill emacs, there is a problem where the hook seems to be trying to
execute a function but cannot find the doc string file.  This is because
the directories are named after the version.

kill-emacs: Cannot open doc string file "/Users/dcurtis/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20120921.1208/helm-adaptative.elc"

It would be nice to have package.el somehow reload the package files.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin12.1.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0 AppKit 1187)
of 2012-09-02 on bird.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple Inc.', version 10.8.2
Configured using:
`configure '--prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.2' '--without-dbus'
'--enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp'
'--infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.2/share/info/emacs' '--with-mac'
'--enable-mac-app=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.2''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mac-mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
SPC b e c a u s e SPC t h e SPC v <backspace> d i r
e c t o r i e s SPC a r e SPC n a m e d SPC a f t e
<backspace> SPC v e r s i o n . SPC S-SPC T h i s SPC
i SPC <backspace> s SPC f i n e SPC b u t SPC b a s
i c a l l y C-w C-w a n d SPC n o r m a l C-w C-w C-w
C-w C-w C-n C-n C-n C-e <return> <return> C-o I t SPC
w o u l d SPC b e SPC n i c e SPC t o SPC h a v e SPC
p a c k a g e . e l SPC s o m e h o w SPC C-p C-k C-e
u p d a t e C-n C-SPC C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-g C-n C-n
r e l o a d - <backspace> SPC t h e SPC p a c k a g
e SPC f i l e s . C-n C-SPC C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-p C-p C-p M-w C-c C-g C-x k <return> y C-x RET r
e p o r t SPC b u g C-g C-g C-x 1 C-x RET <return>

Recent messages:
Auto-saving...done
Mark set
Auto-saving...done
Mark set
Quit
Auto-saving...done
Mark activated

Buffer *unsent mail to mituharu* modified; kill anyway? (y or n)  y
Quit
Quit

Load-path shadows:
/Users/dcurtis/.emacs.d/elpa/ess-20120924.1839/.dir-locals hides /Users/dcurtis/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-20120926.1706/.dir-locals
~/.emacs.d/custom hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.2/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/custom
/Users/dcurtis/.emacs.d/elpa/python-20120924.1710/python hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.2/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/progmodes/python
/Users/dcurtis/.emacs.d/elpa/ess-20120924.1839/.dir-locals hides /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.2/share/emacs/24.2/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals

Features:
(newcomment shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
birds-of-paradise-plus-theme-autoloads helm-imenu semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local
cedet org ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote
org-src ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-compat org-entities org-macs noutline outline cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs imenu derived helm-elisp helm-eval eldoc bookmark pp
easy-mmode autoload tar-mode mule-util time-stamp mail-utils
network-stream starttls url-cache url-http tls mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw url-auth ibuf-ext ibuffer helm-command
misearch multi-isearch vc-git paredit dropdown-list yasnippet whitespace
melpa cyberpunk-theme helm-mode helm-files image-dired tramp
tramp-compat shell pcomplete format-spec tramp-loaddefs dired-x
dired-aux ffap helm-buffers helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark
helm-adaptative helm-info helm-net browse-url xml url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-util
url-parse auth-source assoc gnus-util password-cache url-vars mm-util
mail-prsvr mailcap helm-plugin helm-locate helm-help helm-match-plugin
helm-grep helm-regexp grep helm-external helm-utils dired compile comint
ansi-color helm cus-start cus-load mmm-auto mmm-vars mmm-compat
auto-complete-config auto-complete popup undo-tree diff smex
ido-ubiquitous ido winner ring paren savehist autorevert edmacro kmacro
server defun uniquify saveplace recentf tree-widget wid-edit misc
midnight checkdoc regexp-opt thingatpt help-mode view
ace-jump-mode-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site info easymenu
auto-complete-autoloads browse-kill-ring-autoloads
change-inner-autoloads color-theme-sanityinc-tomorrow-autoloads
csv-mode-autoloads cyberpunk-theme-autoloads deft-autoloads
diminish-autoloads ein-autoloads evil-autoloads evil-numbers-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads find-file-in-project-autoloads findr-autoloads
gist-autoloads gh-autoloads eieio helm-autoloads
ido-ubiquitous-autoloads inflections-autoloads jump-char-autoloads
logito-autoloads magit-autoloads mark-multiple-autoloads
markdown-mode+-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads melpa-autoloads
byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp advice help-fns
advice-preload mmm-mode-autoloads multiple-cursors-autoloads
nrepl-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads paredit-autoloads
pcache-autoloads finder-inf popup-autoloads powerline-autoloads
powerline python-autoloads smart-mode-line-autoloads smex-autoloads
surround-autoloads twilight-anti-bright-theme-autoloads
twilight-bright-theme-autoloads twilight-theme-autoloads
undo-tree-autoloads virtualenv-autoloads websocket-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads package tabulated-list cl time-date tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel mac-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote mac multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

* bug#12545: 24.2; Updating packages does not reload files.
@ 2012-10-01 14:28 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-10-01 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Donald Ephraim Curtis; +Cc: 12545

> kill-emacs: Cannot open doc string file
> "/Users/dcurtis/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20120921.1208/helm-adaptative.elc"

Can you reproduce the problem and give us a backtrace?
Failing to find the docstring should usually be caught close to the call
to `documentation'.

* bug#12545: 24.2; Updating packages does not reload files.
@ 2012-11-07 21:03   ` Donald Curtis
From: Donald Curtis @ 2012-11-07 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: 12545

I reproduced this error and the backtrace was:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Cannot open doc string file \"/Users/dcurtis/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20121027.641/helm-adaptative.elc\"")
  helm-c-adaptive-save-history()
  kill-emacs()
  save-buffers-kill-emacs(nil)
  save-buffers-kill-terminal(nil)
  call-interactively(save-buffers-kill-terminal nil nil)

Looks like a problem with helm-c-adaptive-save-hisotry possibly?

@ 2012-11-08  4:06     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-11-08  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Donald Curtis; +Cc: 12545, Thierry Volpiatto

> I reproduced this error and the backtrace was:
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Cannot open doc string file
> \"/Users/dcurtis/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20121027.641/helm-adaptative.elc\"")
>   helm-c-adaptive-save-history()
>   kill-emacs()
>   save-buffers-kill-emacs(nil)
>   save-buffers-kill-terminal(nil)
>   call-interactively(save-buffers-kill-terminal nil nil)

> Looks like a problem with helm-c-adaptive-save-hisotry possibly?

No, this sounds like the file helm-adaptative.elc was removed or
modified after you loaded helm in your Emacs session (so the error is
that Emacs is trying to lazily load the body of the
helm-c-adaptive-save-history function from the .elc file but can't
find it).

For some reason, Helm sets byte-compile-dynamic in most/all its
files, which introduces these kinds of problems.

Thierry, why do you use byte-compile-dynamic everywhere?
A few well-placed ;;;###autoload cookies usually get you the same (if
not better) speed up during startup without suffering from
such brittleness.

* bug#12545: 24.2; Updating packages does not reload files.
@ 2012-11-08  6:17       ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2012-11-08  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: 12545, Donald Curtis

Hi Stefan,

> Thierry, why do you use byte-compile-dynamic everywhere?
I used this when I splitted helm in many files and enabled autoload
everywhere to speed up start of helm, but indeed I had lot of annoyances
with this and didn't remove it by laziness.
I will remove this as soon as possible.

Thanks.

--
  Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:

* bug#12545: 24.2; Updating packages does not reload files.
@ 2012-11-08 15:10         ` Donald Curtis
From: Donald Curtis @ 2012-11-08 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: 12545

Stefan,

But this does not address the problem of reloading files that are out of date.

The problem being how to upgrade packages and then have those packages get updated to their new versions without actually restarting Emacs.

	Donald

@ 2012-11-08 16:26           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-11-08 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Donald Curtis; +Cc: 12545, Thierry Volpiatto

> But this does not address the problem of reloading files that are out
> of date.

No, indeed, it just reduces the pain due to not reloading them.

> The problem being how to upgrade packages and then have those packages get
> updated to their new versions without actually restarting Emacs.

In general this is not possible right now (e.g. any defvars will keep
using the value from the old version; removed functions and vars might
linger around; ...).
We could provide the option to "try to reload and cross your fingers".
We could also provide "try to unload-feature, cross your fingers, and
then reload".