all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Set initial buffer to eshell
@ 2013-06-27 19:55 jacob.schlather
From: jacob.schlather @ 2013-06-27 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I was wondering what the easiest change I could make to my .emacs file to set the initial buffer to the eshell. I messed around a little bit with initial-buffer-choice but this only seemed helpful for launching to certain files.

Thanks,
Jacob

* Re: Set initial buffer to eshell
@ 2013-06-27 20:27 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.2628.1372364853.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-06-27 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jacob.schlather; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 27.06.2013 um 21:55 schrieb jacob.schlather@gmail.com:

> I was wondering what the easiest change I could make to my .emacs file to set the initial buffer to the eshell.

Making

	(eshell)

the last statement?

--
Greetings

  Pete

A blizzard is when it snows sideways.

@ 2013-06-27 20:30   ` jacob.schlather
From: jacob.schlather @ 2013-06-27 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:27:26 PM UTC-4, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 27.06.2013 um 21:55 schrieb :
>

> > I was wondering what the easiest change I could make to my .emacs file to set the initial buffer to the eshell.
>

> Making
>

> 	(eshell)
>

> the last statement?
>

> --
>
> Greetings
>

>   Pete
>

> A blizzard is when it snows sideways.

That is easy and it works.

@ 2013-06-27 21:20 ` Jens Teich
       [not found] ` <mailman.2648.1372387325.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jens Teich @ 2013-06-27 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

jacob.schlather@gmail.com writes:

> I was wondering what the easiest change I could make to my .emacs file
> to set the initial buffer to the eshell. I messed around a little bit
> with initial-buffer-choice but this only seemed helpful for launching
> to certain files.
>
> Thanks,
> Jacob

(eshell)

~jens

* Re: Set initial buffer to eshell
@ 2013-06-27 21:59   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-06-27 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jens Teich <jensteich@t-online.de> writes:

>> I was wondering what the easiest change I could make to my
>> .emacs file to set the initial buffer to the eshell. I messed
>> around a little bit with initial-buffer-choice but this only
>> seemed helpful for launching to certain files.
>
> (eshell)

Yes, but beware, if you do changes to .emacs, and want to
effectuate them en masse, you can't `M-x load-file RET` - well,
you can, but then you will invoke the eshell which probably wasn't
what you wanted, and especially not as it was started on startup
and I suspect you not to shut it down until you shut down Emacs.

I guess something like this would do the trick, at least if you
(like me) are not a functional programming zealot and thus have no
problems with globals or side-effects.

(defvar *has-started* nil)
(if (not *has-started*)
    (progn
      (setq *has-started* t)
      (eshell) ))

And, everything can of course be avoided if you, when you change
.emacs, effectuate it defun by defun with `eval-defun' or
`eval-last-sexp'.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Set initial buffer to eshell
@ 2013-06-27 22:52     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2013-06-27 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Emanuel,

> > (eshell)
>
> Yes, but beware, if you do changes to .emacs, and want to
> effectuate them en masse, you can't `M-x load-file RET` - well,
> you can, but then you will invoke the eshell which probably wasn't
> what you wanted, and especially not as it was started on startup
> and I suspect you not to shut it down until you shut down Emacs.
>
> I guess something like this would do the trick, at least if you
> (like me) are not a functional programming zealot and thus have no
> problems with globals or side-effects.
>
> (defvar *has-started* nil)
> (if (not *has-started*)
>     (progn
>       (setq *has-started* t)
>       (eshell) ))

Yes, that would work, but it's probably even easier to use
`after-init-hook'.

Michael.

* Re: Set initial buffer to eshell
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-06-28  2:43 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.2648.1372387325.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2013-06-28  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 6/27/13 1:55 PM, jacob.schlather@gmail.com wrote:
 > I was wondering what the easiest change I could make to my .emacs file
 > to set the initial buffer to the eshell. I messed around a little bit
 > with initial-buffer-choice but this only seemed helpful for launching
 > to certain files.

Why change .emacs?  Just invoke Emacs with:

emacs -f eshell

You can define an alias or create a script to encapsulate that logic.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2013-06-28 18:25   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-06-28 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

>> I was wondering what the easiest change I could make to my
>> .emacs file to set the initial buffer to the eshell. I messed
>> around a little bit with initial-buffer-choice but this only
>> seemed helpful for launching to certain files.
>
> Why change .emacs?  Just invoke Emacs with:
>
> emacs -f eshell

Why is that better? I think changing .emacs is better. All Emacs
configuration/initiation should go into that file.

Granted, an absurd example, but just imagine an .emacs file of
several thousand lines - which is not uncommon - imagine putting
all that into aliases, functions, and scripts! Even if it would be
possible - which it isn't - it would be a *jungle*!

My system starts Emacs automatically when it starts (in
.zprofile), and it is just so much more convenient to change
.emacs - also, any changes to .emacs can be effectuated from
within an Emacs session, without having to restart.