all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to not get the Cc header in Gnus, on reply to mail
@ 2013-10-02 19:47 Emanuel Berg
       [not found] ` <mailman.3285.1380770349.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-10-02 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I answer a mail in Gnus (with
`gnus-article-followup-with-original') I get an
undesired Cc header (with my own mail address). I
suppose this is some hack to get a "sent messages"
archive (?), but I already have that as

(setq gnus-message-archive-group '("archived-news-and-mail") )

and

(defun save-sent-mail ()
  "Save sent messages."
  (write-file
   (format-time-string "~/Mail/sent/%Y-%m-%d_%T.m")
   nil) ) ; no confirm
(add-hook 'message-sent-hook 'save-sent-mail)

so I don't want it. I wrote this

(defun remove-cc ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (message-goto-cc)
    (beginning-of-line)
    (kill-line) )
  (set-buffer-modified-p nil) )

which works (if invoked), but I couldn't automatize it
because I didn't manage to get it to be carried out in
the message buffer - instead it was executed in the
article mode buffer, where it made no sense.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: How to not get the Cc header in Gnus, on reply to mail
       [not found] <87ob77xxmx.fsf@nl106-137-194.student.uu.se>
@ 2013-10-02 22:44 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-10-02 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I got help on gnu.emacs.gnus. There hasn't been that
much activity there lately, so I thought I'd post it
here as well. But I shouldn't have doubted ol'
gnu.emacs.gnus...

Anyway, I thought I'd share the solution given to me, so
as to not leave any strings unattached.

Solution: set message-dont-reply-to-names to your
*e-mail*.

Oh, and the rationale for why the Cc header is inserted
to begin with had to do with Gmail removing "duplicates"
on mailing lists, so my speculation was incorrect.

--

@ 2013-10-03  3:10   ` Floyd L. Davidson
From: Floyd L. Davidson @ 2013-10-03  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:
>I got help on gnu.emacs.gnus. There hasn't been that
>much activity there lately, so I thought I'd post it
>here as well. But I shouldn't have doubted ol'
>gnu.emacs.gnus...
>
>Anyway, I thought I'd share the solution given to me, so
>as to not leave any strings unattached.

Incidentally, that's a good lesson in why multiposting is not good,
and why crossposting exists.  Use it!

--
Floyd L. Davidson           http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                      floyd@apaflo.com

* Re: How to not get the Cc header in Gnus, on reply to mail
@ 2013-10-03  3:19 ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found] ` <mailman.3285.1380770349.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-10-03  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> When I answer a mail in Gnus (with
> `gnus-article-followup-with-original') I get an
> undesired Cc header (with my own mail address). I
> suppose this is some hack to get a "sent messages"
> archive (?), but I already have that as

I thought this was supposed to be controlled by
`gnus-ignored-from-addresses': if you set that to a regexp that matches
your address(es), does that stop the cc madness?

* Re: How to not get the Cc header in Gnus, on reply to mail
@ 2013-10-03 19:30     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-10-03 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) writes:

>>I got help on gnu.emacs.gnus. There hasn't been that
>>much activity there lately, so I thought I'd post it
>>here as well. But I shouldn't have doubted ol'
>>gnu.emacs.gnus...
>>
>>Anyway, I thought I'd share the solution given to me,
>>so as to not leave any strings unattached.
>
> Incidentally, that's a good lesson in why multiposting
> is not good, and why crossposting exists.  Use it!

Never heard of multiposting, I thought "crossposting"
was what I did? In general, at the web, people don't
like crossposting (in the sense I always thought of the
word: posting the same material on several places),
especially at the SX sites they are hysteric about it:
they say it shouldn't even be possible "by definition"
as all domains (in their hysteric minds) are mutually
exclusive (i.e., no overlap). This is nothing short of
madness, and if people were to act on the premise (that
nothing is ever interconnected) society would collapse
in an instant.

I have tried several times to post to several groups,
and then add *one* (the best on-topic group) in the
followup-header. But, in those cases, people didn't care
about that, instead they responded to "their" groups
just the same.

So if you care to clarify, that'd be great.

--

@ 2013-10-03 19:35   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-10-03 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> When I answer a mail in Gnus (with
>> `gnus-article-followup-with-original') I get an
>> undesired Cc header (with my own mail address). I
>> suppose this is some hack to get a "sent messages"
>> archive (?), but I already have that as
>
> I thought this was supposed to be controlled by
> `gnus-ignored-from-addresses': if you set that to a
> regexp that matches your address(es), does that stop
> the cc madness?

That's interesting, I already have my address there, but
in the form of "embe8573@..." - the form I had to ban
(in the other variable, namely
`message-dont-reply-to-names') is in the from
"emanuel.berg.8573@..."

So most likely, you are right, setting up the variable
that you mention will work just as well. But I will only
change if there is some reason that
`gnus-ignored-from-addresses' is a better place to do
it.