all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#16154: Emacs crashes if $HOME isn't writable
@ 2013-12-15  7:59 Reinhard Kotucha
From: Reinhard Kotucha @ 2013-12-15  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 16154

Hi,
when I do (as root)

   su nobody
   VISUAL=/usr/local/bin/emacs-24.3 crontab -e

Emacs says

   Creating directory: permission denied, //.emacs.d/

and refuses to do anything useful.  It's on purpose that user 'nobody'
doesn't have a writable HOME directory.

My current workaround is to put the lines

  if [[ ${LOGNAME} == 'nobody' ]]; then
    EDITOR=vim
  else
    EDITOR=emacs
  fi

into /etc/bashrc.

It would be better if Emacs can be used even if the HOME directory
isn't writable.

vim allows me to edit the crontab and issues a warning

  E138: Can't write viminfo file /.viminfo!

afterwards end but emacs refuses to do anything useful if $HOME isn't
writable.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                              mailto:reinhard.kotucha@web.de

* bug#16154: Emacs crashes if $HOME isn't writable
@ 2013-12-15 11:40 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-12-15 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 16154

Reinhard Kotucha writes:
>    Creating directory: permission denied, //.emacs.d/
>
> and refuses to do anything useful.  It's on purpose that user 'nobody'
> doesn't have a writable HOME directory.

It looks like nobody doesn't have a non-writable HOME, but no HOME at
all (or "/") on your system.

> It would be better if Emacs can be used even if the HOME directory
> isn't writable.

Well, in my testing Emacs works (giving just a warning about the
non-writable .emacs.d and then moving on), both 24.3 and trunk from a
few days back.  Perhaps you have something in site-lisp that assumes a
writable ~/.emacs.d?

Regards,
Achim.

* bug#16154: Emacs crashes if $HOME isn't writable
@ 2013-12-15 16:25   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-12-15 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: 16154

> From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
> Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 12:40:25 +0100
>
> > It would be better if Emacs can be used even if the HOME directory
> > isn't writable.
>
> Well, in my testing Emacs works (giving just a warning about the
> non-writable .emacs.d and then moving on), both 24.3 and trunk from a
> few days back.

Indeed, same here.

* bug#16154: Emacs crashes if $HOME isn't writable
@ 2013-12-15 19:47     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-12-15 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 16154; +Cc: Achim Gratz, reinhard.kotucha

Not sure why you guys are saying this works in 24.3, because I only
fixed this in trunk semi-recently:

http://debbugs.gnu.org/13930

Ie, this should be fixed in 24.4.
Of course, "refuses to do anything useful" is very vague, so I have no
way to test whatever the OP was seeing works now.

PS it's not a good idea to omit the OP from replies.

* bug#16154: Emacs crashes if $HOME isn't writable
@ 2013-12-15 20:17       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-12-15 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: reinhard.kotucha, Stromeko, 16154

> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>, reinhard.kotucha@web.de
> Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 14:47:46 -0500
>

> Not sure why you guys are saying this works in 24.3, because I only
> fixed this in trunk semi-recently:
>
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/13930
>
> Ie, this should be fixed in 24.4.

"This" being what?

> Of course, "refuses to do anything useful" is very vague, so I have no
> way to test whatever the OP was seeing works now.

I assumed that "refuses to do anything useful" means you cannot visit
a file, edit it, and save it.  That works for me, both in 24.3 and the
current trunk.  FWIW, I did

   HOME=/whatever emacs -Q

and in that session I could visit files, edit them, and save them.
Sure, Emacs bitched at me at startup, but that's it.

* bug#16154: Emacs crashes if $HOME isn't writable
@ 2013-12-16  3:01       ` Reinhard Kotucha
From: Reinhard Kotucha @ 2013-12-16  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Achim Gratz, reinhard.kotucha, 16154

On 2013-12-15 at 14:47:46 -0500, Glenn Morris wrote:

 > Not sure why you guys are saying this works in 24.3, because I only
 > fixed this in trunk semi-recently:
 >
 > http://debbugs.gnu.org/13930
 >
 > Ie, this should be fixed in 24.4.
 > Of course, "refuses to do anything useful" is very vague, so I have no
 > way to test whatever the OP was seeing works now.

Sorry for having been so imprecise.  With "refuses to do anything
useful" I meant that it didn't load the crontab.  There is only the
scratch buffer.  Seems that I encountered the bug you fixed.

I'll try the version in trunk tomorrow.

Thanks,

@ 2013-12-16  7:24       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-12-16  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: reinhard.kotucha, 16154

Glenn Morris writes:
> Not sure why you guys are saying this works in 24.3, because I only
> fixed this in trunk semi-recently:
>
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/13930
>
> Ie, this should be fixed in 24.4.

It "worked for me" since I didn't test with enough command line
arguments to see that the processing of the command line would be
incomplete in 24.3.

> Of course, "refuses to do anything useful" is very vague, so I have no
> way to test whatever the OP was seeing works now.

It's become clear in the meantime that the bug is indeed that file(s)
given on the command line won't open in 24.3.  You can still work on
them once Emacs has started and complained about the non-writable
~/.emacs.d/, though.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* bug#16154: Emacs crashes if $HOME isn't writable
@ 2013-12-16 21:15         ` Reinhard Kotucha
From: Reinhard Kotucha @ 2013-12-16 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reinhard.kotucha; +Cc: Achim Gratz, 16154

On 2013-12-16 at 04:01:18 +0100, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

 > On 2013-12-15 at 14:47:46 -0500, Glenn Morris wrote:
 >
 >  > Not sure why you guys are saying this works in 24.3, because I only
 >  > fixed this in trunk semi-recently:
 >  >
 >  > http://debbugs.gnu.org/13930
 >  >
 >  > Ie, this should be fixed in 24.4.
 >  > Of course, "refuses to do anything useful" is very vague, so I
 >  > have no way to test whatever the OP was seeing works now.
 >
 > Sorry for having been so imprecise.  With "refuses to do anything
 > useful" I meant that it didn't load the crontab.  There is only the
 > scratch buffer.  Seems that I encountered the bug you fixed.
 >
 > I'll try the version in trunk tomorrow.

Dear Glenn,
I installed emacs-24.3.50 now and it works like a charm.

Thanks again,