all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Prob wit init.el / .emacs on two different installation (win - linux)
@ 2014-01-20 11:51 Renato Pontefice
From: Renato Pontefice @ 2014-01-20 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
I have two installation of emacs:
- one at work with windows xp
- one at jome in linux Debian
I would use the same initialization file (init.el for win, and .emacs on
linux)

I've created a init.el on windows with just this line:

;; -*- mode: elisp -*-
(load " C:/Documents and
Settings/renatop/Documenti/Dropbox/Documenti/emacs_prof/.emacs")

where the .emacs reside on a Dropbox folder, accessible from both devices

when I start emacs from win , i reveive the following message:
_________________
Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
`c:/emacs/.emacs.d/init.el':

File error: Cannot open load file,  C:/Documents and
Settings/renatop/Documenti/Dropbox/Documenti/emacs_prof/.emacs

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.
__________________

What can I llok for?

TIA

Renato

ps
I've also made a proof with init.el

* Re: Prob wit init.el / .emacs on two different installation (win - linux)
@ 2014-01-20 17:05 ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2014-01-20 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Renato Pontefice; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> (load " C:/Documents and
> Settings/renatop/Documenti/Dropbox/Documenti/emacs_prof/.emacs")

There's a space character at the beginning, I guess that's not intended ?

Also, there's a newline in there, it should be removed. But maybe it was
just to fit in a 72-columns email ?

HTH,

--
Nico.

* Re: Prob wit init.el / .emacs on two different installation (win - linux)
       [not found] <mailman.12421.1390236515.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-01-21 17:17 ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2014-01-21 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Monday, January 20, 2014 5:21:36 PM UTC+5:30, Renato Pontefice wrote:
> Hi,
> I have two installation of emacs:
> - one at work with windows xp
> - one at jome in linux Debian
> I would use the same initialization file (init.el for win, and .emacs on
> linux)

I assume that Nicholas' answer has worked for you
However I wonder why you are using init on windows and .emacs on linux
~/.emacs.d/init.el can be used in linux also.

* Re: Prob wit init.el / .emacs on two different installation (win - linux)
@ 2014-01-28 16:15   ` Rusi
       [not found]     ` <mailman.13144.1391048337.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rusi @ 2014-01-28 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Renato wrote
> I wouild use the variable you sudgested me to obtain that:
> - if I'm on linux machine, the .org path this:
> /home/renato/Dropbox/Documenti/org/

I think this is not the best variable for this (others should correct me)
Better to use user-init-file or user-emacs-directory

Also beware of backslashes (\) in emacs strings.
Forward (/) will work even on windows and are safer.
[Ive been bitten couple of times by this]

> -instead if I' using win, is something like this
> C:\Documents and Settings\renatop\Documenti\Dropbox\Documentiorg\
>
> so, I think, I need to test the variable window-system to undestand if I'm running emacs from win or from linux, and then use the correct path to set the the correct value for "setq default-directory"

This is the best I could find but it will not work for example if
you do emacs -nw in linux
There must be some variable for "Am I on windows? Linux? Mac?" but I dont
know which

* Re: Prob wit init.el / .emacs on two different installation (win - linux)
@ 2014-01-30  2:18     ` David Robinow
       [not found]     ` <mailman.13144.1391048337.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Robinow @ 2014-01-30  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 1/28/2014 11:15 AM, Rusi wrote:

> This is the best I could find but it will not work for example if
> you do emacs -nw in linux
> There must be some variable for "Am I on windows? Linux? Mac?" but I dont
> know which
sysyem-type
The value is a symbol indicating the type of operating system you are using.
Special values:
   `gnu'          compiled for a GNU Hurd system.
   `gnu/linux'    compiled for a GNU/Linux system.
   `gnu/kfreebsd' compiled for a GNU system with a FreeBSD kernel.
   `darwin'       compiled for Darwin (GNU-Darwin, Mac OS X, ...).
   `ms-dos'       compiled as an MS-DOS application.
   `windows-nt'   compiled as a native W32 application.
   `cygwin'       compiled using the Cygwin library.
Anything else (in Emacs 24.1, the possibilities are: aix, berkeley-unix,
hpux, irix, usg-unix-v) indicates some sort of Unix system.

@ 2014-01-30 16:54       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-01-30 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Robinow <DavidRobinow@woh.rr.com> writes:

>> This is the best I could find but it will not work
>> for example if you do emacs -nw in linux There must
>> be some variable for "Am I on windows?  Linux? Mac?"
>> but I dont know which
>
> sysyem-type: The value is a symbol indicating the
> type of operating system you are using.  Special
> values: 'gnu' compiled for a GNU Hurd system.

A very special value indeed :) It would be interesting
to hear, if anyone on the list has done that.

--
underground experts united:
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573